Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emiel1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
The Netherlands
I have two external screens connected to my MacBook and I also use the MacBooks screen itself. When I am working in final cut pro I want to use my external screens for this. The main screen is no problem, but when I select 'show in second screen' it uses my MacBooks screen. How can I tell fcpx to use the other screen?

Thanks a lot!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Not sure if its possible to force the second screen as your main screen menu.

Chrisgroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
London
I have two external screens connected to my MacBook and I also use the MacBooks screen itself. When I am working in final cut pro I want to use my external screens for this. The main screen is no problem, but when I select 'show in second screen' it uses my MacBooks screen. How can I tell fcpx to use the other screen?

Thanks a lot!
[doublepost=1480110996][/doublepost]With 3 screens choose your main and secondry monitor, move the control banner to the one you want to be secondary, launch fcp then move the fcpx interface to the what will be your main screen from what will be your secondary, (fcp x launches onto the control screen with the banner) when you select show in secondary in fcpx the screen with the banner will be your secondary, (the macs main!!). The 3rd screen so long as it is set to show 1080p or whatever you are editing at will display pure video out and is selected in playback preferences. If your project is set to something the third monitor can't display natively it will not be selectable. Its a bit of messing about and 1 becomes 2- 2 becomes 1 nonsense but it does work. Sure it could be easier somehow! 10.3 has helped a bit, but only in giving a few more options for confusion.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hm, still struggling with this on my 2019 Mac Pro with three displays attached, the third one being an offline projector. Still, FCP insists on displaying the fullscreen preview on that projector instead of my 2nd monitor Crazy annoying!!!

Reactions: cocoua

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
the 2016 trick doesn't work anymore in Ventura, I dont know why but I had until I reboot today, the second monitor where I wanted, but after reboot FCX now choose the 3rd monitor as 2nd, tried all tricks, it always choose that one...

very desperate as I have 2 pro monitors and one crap for mail, browser ETC and FCX choose the crap one, that AWESOME APPLE!

Reactions: djbuddha

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
the 2016 trick doesn't work anymore in Ventura, I dont know why but I had until I reboot today, the second monitor where I wanted, but after reboot FCX now choose the 3rd monitor as 2nd, tried all tricks, it always choose that one...

very desperate as I have 2 pro monitors and one crap for mail, browser ETC and FCX choose the crap one, that AWESOME APPLE!
Did you ever solve this? I'm losing my mind over here with 3 monitors. I just want to be able to move the viewer to a different monitor than the one it keeps defaulting to when I choose to view the viewers on a secondary display. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.