Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What domain name is better to choose?

• Total voters

haralake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
I want to make a business directory classifieds site. Every business owner can insert his business info for free in this catalogue. I really need opinions to decide what domain name to choose from those:

advert.gr
listed.gr
onlist.gr
ilist.gr

Is very difficult for me to decide because in my eyes all are good, but i guess one is better. I also need if is possible to explain your answer to understand the choices. I really need your help!! Thank you very much !!!

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Honest answer: A good name is important. It really is. But what gets your business going is not the name, but the plattform and marketing. So focus on that. Never publicly post domain names you want to purchase. Domain-traders might just register them hoping to make a good deal selling it to you later.

B2T:
advert: very general, tricky SEO
ilist: sounds apple, catchy
listed: good, but tricky SEO
onlist: good and catchy, believe to have heard it before.

These are just my personal opinion. Check for registered trademarks. They might already be taken (not necessarily in use, but legally protected).

haralake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Hello Thomas. Yes i know that i'm just on the beginning and i have a lot ff work but is also important to start with a good domain.
I guess that you are between ilist and onlist.

Thank you for your help.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Do you understand how the Web works? First, domain squatters will have registered all of these domains by the time you are ready to make a choice. And secondly, NOBODY on the planet goes to a "business directory" on the web to find a business in 2016 -- 99.9% of web users will simply search Google or Bing for what they want. And lastly, useless "directories" are no better than the similar "parking" pages that domain squatters use. Therefore, your directory will likely be highly downranked by Google on day one and will be lost in the millions of other useless web directories out there.

Honestly, even the best of the best web directories like DMOZ get very little direct end-user visitation on the modern web. This is simply a bad business idea in 2016. If it were 1995 then it would be a great idea to invest in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.