Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
iMacZealot said:
I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good font to use for school this year. All last year I did my papers in Helvetica 12 point in AppleWorks, but I'm getting rather tired of Helvetica. I was thinking about Lucida Grande, but it's a little too large for my needs. I also don't want anything that reminds me of PCs like Times New Roman. I don't really care if it's Sans-Serif or not. I just want a font that's on my computer already, or something free I can download.

Thanks in advance.
Verdana. It's nice, clean, similar to Helvetica

1st=helvetica 2nd=verdana

**EDIT** after I looked at the post with the pics side by side, they're basically the same thing. Forget Verdana and go with the lavish Zapfino

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 125

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
neocell said:
Verdana. It's nice, clean, similar to Helvetica

1st=helvetica 2nd=verdana

**EDIT** after I looked at the post with the pics side by side, they're basically the same thing. Forget Verdana and go with the lavish Zapfino

Helvetica and Veranda are the same, only Veranda is way too huge.

Thanks for the advice, although I've decided on Garamond a little earlier on in this thread and things have been working very well with garamond.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
iMacZealot said:
Helvetica and Veranda are the same, only Veranda is way too huge.
Actually, Verdana was designed for on screen readability particularly at small point sizes, and for that it truly excels. (IMHO). Should probably also point out that it comes from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=1&FNAME=Verdana.

Although you've settled on Garmond, let me cast another vote for Palatino. I typset my Ph.D. thesis with it in LaTeX so many years ago...

B

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by iMacZealot
I don't really care if it's Sans-Serif or not.

It really is important that you use a Sans-Serif font, it makes long reports much easier to read for the instructor, which are easier on thier eyes (and brains), which makes thier jobs easier, which makes them happier, which makes your grade higher.

EDIT: You want to use Serif Fonts, not San-Serif. Sorry. San-Serif should reserved for titles, headings, etc.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I have Garamond, but I don't have Myriad. Aren't they both Adobe fonts? I have Adobe Creative Suite CS, wouldn't it come with that? I was looking at my fonts in Microsoft Word, will that show me all of my fonts or do I have to "teach" Word what fonts I have that may have come with differnt programs?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
EricNau said:
It really is important that you use a Sans-Serif font, it makes long reports much easier to read for the instructor, which are easier on thier eyes (and brains), which makes thier jobs easier, which makes them happier, which makes your grade higher.

Completely wrong. Serif fonts are far more legible for long sections of text which is why they're used in newspapers and books.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
balamw said:
Although you've settled on Garmond, let me cast another vote for Palatino. I typset my Ph.D. thesis with it in LaTeX so many years ago...

If using LaTeX for anything mathematical, then I think Computer Modern is the best choice.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Use Bookman

For such a report I used Bookman at University. My Father who was old style print school trained said the serif font was easy on the eye and Bookman is an excellent font to read.

Never underestimate the need of the reader to feel comfortable with the item they are reading. Use quality paper c. 100g +, a good font and when you are constructing a page prop it up 10-15 ft away and see at how it looks. A messy page from far away becomes uncomfortable to read up close.

My final dissertation was OK work but with 100% correct spelling and grammar, 110g paper, Bookman and good layout was well worth the effort and I got top grading in the year for my dissertation.

Best of luck with the report what ever font you use.

John

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
rainman::|:| said:
You shouldn't put two spaces in between words, and don't do it between sentences either (a common mistake, I still make it!). Computer fonts are designed not to need this. If your teachers argue, slam them in the head with a typewriter, and exclaim "this thing IS still good for something" besides monospaced text.

</anal about fonts>

Every paper I've ever written has been required to be double spaced...even in high school.

Also, I was taught to use two spaces after a period and colon.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Completely wrong. Serif fonts are far more legible for long sections of text which is why they're used in newspapers and books.

Ya, you're right, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I forgot what what "San" meant. Oh, well, thanks for paying more attention in computer class than I did ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by rainman::|:|
You shouldn't put two spaces in between words, and don't do it between sentences either (a common mistake, I still make it!). Computer fonts are designed not to need this. If your teachers argue, slam them in the head with a typewriter, and exclaim "this thing IS still good for something" besides monospaced text.

I was told in like the First Grade that there are supposed to be 2 spaces after a period between two sentances. So I'm only supposed to use one?

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
EricNau said:
I was told in like the First Grade that there are supposed to be 2 spaces after a period between two sentances. So I'm only supposed to use one?

I remember learning this too and it's never been an issue with the bazillions of papers I have written for school. I am so confused now. *head explodes*

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
EricNau said:

Yes. The Mac is not a typewriter.

Two spaces = indisputable typographical heresy (with a proportional font).

It makes me extremely cross. You don't want to see that, do you? ;)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
EricNau said:

I was, too. I think it is to be two spaces, as that's what every grammar teacher has ever told me; but it probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iMacZealot said:
I was, too. I think it is to be two spaces, as that's what every grammar teacher has ever told me; but it probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

Believe it or not, it makes a huge amount of difference when setting type.
Your grammar teachers were and continue to be wrong.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Believe it or not, it makes a huge amount of difference when setting type.
Your grammar teachers were and continue to be wrong.

Whilst I double space, and so do have my grammar teachers in the past, you are correct. I did some research and the monospace thing on the typewriter and found that you are correct, and I have noticed that if you were to double space in iChat, it automatically removes one spacing. It's going to be rather hard for me to change, but I would like to thank you for opening my eyes. It makes sense now.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
CorvusCamenarum said:
I wrote most of my papers in 12 point Optima. It's nice and easy to read. Then again I also printed all of my essays and whatnot on resume paper. It feels nicer and it's easier to write commentary on it. Unless your professor is a standards nazi, chances are they won't care what font you use so long as it's not outrageous and they can read it easily.

Entirely. Optima is an absurdly elegant sans serif font whose usage is suitable for almost any occasion.

If you're willing to splash out the cash however for a font, consider Frutiger. Along the same lines as Optima.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
This is indeed a nice font, but so is this.

(Optima and Gill Sans)

I use Gill Sans for AIM, E-mails, and most school papers. Optima gets use for more "official documents."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.