Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justpingme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
So we are on ATT and wife has a iPhone 12.

For Christmas I want to get her a iPhone 15 pro and trade in her phone with att financing. I want her to open it up and activate on Xmas day.

-I want to do online order through apple with store pickup.
- will I get mailed a trade in kit to return the old phone or do I have to turn in the old phone on the spot at pickup at the store.
-If return kit how many days do I get to return? Is it att’s 30 days or apples 14 days?
- if I get it early does does it automatically activates the phone even if I don’t turn it on (again it’s a Xmas gift opening on Xmas day)
- I read online in the past that you only get 7 days and att either auto activates or bricks the phone (thinking it’s lost or stolen)

I’m trying to do my game plan on when to purchase the iPhone so I can also get the att trade returned on time.

Thanks.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Maybe you should ask her if that's what she wants.. I'd want to be involved if my significant other was going to get me a phone that needed payments for 24 months (or possibly up to 36 months). I'd at least want to pick color and storage.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Since you’re ordering from Apple, you’re going to have 14 days to send the trade-in kit back. An option to consider is order the phone closer to Christmas, that way your wife will be able to open and activate the new device on Christmas Day. You can then wipe and mail the device back the next day and still have time for the third-party company to receive and inspect the phone.

Reactions: Justpingme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.