Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
What does everyone here do to customize their desktop look for Christmas? I personally have a small folder of desktops and then run MacLampsX (like the old Holiday Lights) and a snow screensaver (not sure if the ones I've used before work in Mountain Lion, as I haven't checked yet).

Any other ideas?

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
As I mentioned, MacLampsX works, although the screensaver does not. LotsaSnow works as a screensaver, though. No others I'm familiar with, though.

jW

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Christmas theme thread! :D

Ok, before I begin I'd just like to say I am not big on tacky christmas themes. I prefer a simple touch of the season on my workstation. So I had this awesome idea around 3:00 this morning to put a santa hat on the Finder! After about an hour of searching for the perfect hat, I used pixelmator to make the edits. So I wanted to share with you the outcome, and feel free to post your own interface changes.

Attachments

• finder2.png
    finder2.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 543

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Last edited by a moderator:

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
This is pretty cool! How did you change the icon for Finder? I was browsing some sites and saw some procedures where you change some files through superuser privileges (via the terminal); however, is there an easier way? Or perhaps you have a Perl (or equivalent) script that will execute it?

http://superuser.com/questions/317454/how-to-change-the-finder-icon-in-mac-os-x-lion

Thanks, you just change the file finder.png with your own in System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Content/Resources. Remember to right click Dock.app "Show Package Contents" then navigate to the resources folder.

I used CandyBar for mine, it's now free. http://www.panic.com/candybar/

It would be best to use just one thread for this, and as it happens, I started one just recently: Desktop: Christmas/Holiday Desktop Customization. :D

I'll ask a mod to simply merge the threads to avoid the duplication.

jW

Oops, sorry! :)

As I mentioned, MacLampsX works, although the screensaver does not. LotsaSnow works as a screensaver, though. No others I'm familiar with, though.

jW

I love these kinds of apps :D . I prefer the dashboard lights widget made by interdimension media but is it's stuck in the Dashboard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.