Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I just made a short slideshow using iPhoto containing some pictures of me and my family when we went to get our annual Christmas tree. I'm amazed at how quickly iPhoto can create great slideshows! There are a few slight mishaps here and there with portrait-oriented photos, but I think it came out pretty well.

Christmas Tree 2005

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially on the photos themselves. I really enjoy taking art photos, and would like to continue to improve on my shots. I know a lot of people here, especially iGary, take some great photos, and their advice could really help.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
steelphantom said:
Any feedback would be appreciated, especially on the photos themselves. I really enjoy taking art photos, and would like to continue to improve on my shots. I know a lot of people here, especially iGary, take some great photos, and their advice could really help.

I'm no iGary :rolleyes: ;), but I had a comment about the slideshow for you.

The first few slides, of your house (presumably) and the tree-field are all nice, but the duplicates are odd in a slideshow like this. Only in the beginning did I see this, but if you chose perhaps the better image of your residence, and of the field it would flow a bit better.

As far as the images go, I think you did a great job. They look great, but they are quite small so it's hard to really inspect specific aspects of the images at this resolution and while moving.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
steelphantom said:
I just made a short slideshow using iPhoto containing some pictures of me and my family when we went to get our annual Christmas tree. I'm amazed at how quickly iPhoto can create great slideshows! There are a few slight mishaps here and there with portrait-oriented photos, but I think it came out pretty well.

Agreed - - very nice.

[quoteAny feedback would be appreciated, especially on the photos themselves. I really enjoy taking art photos, and would like to continue to improve on my shots. I know a lot of people here, especially iGary, take some great photos, and their advice could really help.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the shot sequencing selection - - skies, then close-ups, etc. Very nice flow. Good music selection too.

What I'd suggest is to consider including a few simple titles, probably one to introduce the sequence, and then perhaps some more at the end. My basic reason for this is that today, everyone in your family knows that this is this year's tree gathering, but its all too common with family photo albums for it to survive long enough to get to the questions of "which year was this?" and "who's this with Uncle Bob in this picture?" etc.

FWIW, one of the things my Mom did before her mother died a few years ago was to take in old boxes of family photos to the nursing home...it gave the two of them something to do and talk about, and Mom's mission was to find out what familymembers were in the photo and wrote down their names on the back of the photo's, and fleshed out some more family genological history that hadn't ever been written down before. A practice highly recommended for all families, especially those with older relatives who might not be around all that much longer.

Its a YMMV if you want to also document various family members on their initial appearance, at the end, or whatever. When it comes to providing the clues to help out future family geneologists, there's almost no such thing as too much information, since you'll never know what will get lost.

-hh

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
efoto: Thanks for your suggestions! The house isn't my house, just one that I found to be cool-looking. I had to take a few pictures of it! I agree that I the duplicates of the house and the field especially should be removed. I just threw all the photos that I took into the slideshow and hit "play." Thanks for your comments on the images!

-hh: Thanks for your comments as well! I think that adding titles would be a great idea. I'll do some iMovie work and add the titles. You can't add titles in iPhoto, right? If you could, that would be pretty awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.