Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Running Chrome on Mojave (desktop) Big Sur (laptop). No issues on either until Christmas Day. Started the system as always. Nothing new has been downloaded, and I know not to click on anything without review. Chrome started and locked up almost immediately. Waited a few minutes and was able to click on a tab, then locked again. Does the same on both systems. Called in a tech (who showed up and admitted he didn't know MACS very well), said let's download a new version of Chrome. I already did that, three times, making certain I was using the correct Chrome for 10.14.6. When he tried to download a new Chrome DMG, all Hell broke loose and my system was telling me I was out of RAM. Impossible.

He then, after calling someone, said unless I upgrade to the current MAC IOS, Chrome would not work, claiming there were "patches installed" and I can't use Chrome anymore on older IOS. I was able to find a note somewhere that said this was possible. OK, so now I need the experts.

Is this correct? Chrome won't work anymore on older IOS? The reason I don't upgrade is losing some very valuable 32 bit editing programs that won't work on the newer IOS. Is there then any way to have the older programs work on the newer IOS? I also have install packages for the older systems, so maybe a re-install? That doesn't sound as if it would make any difference.

It does make sense, but I never found any warning of "cut off" dates where Chrome would just stop working. Keeping this in mind, should I just chuck Chrome and go back to Firefox for everything?

Thanks for helping.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Answers may depend on the Mac models you're describing. You can let us know by selecting Apple Menu>About This Mac and relaying the info shown in the overview (minus the serial numbers).

Last edited:

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Answers may depend on the Mac models your describing. You can let us know by selecting Apple Menu>About This Mac and relaying the info shown in the overview (minus the serial numbers).
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 4.02.11 PM.png

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
The oldest supported OS for Chrome is macOS 10.13 High Sierra, so your Mac is still supported if you're running 10.14.

It has been supporting Chrome for years, including the Chrome updates. Nothing was changed on the OS when this issue occurred. Everything has been humming for a long time, so something happened. Nothing was downloaded recently and no phishing clicks were made. I have run 2 different malware scans using Intego and another system. They found nothing alarming.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Are you signed into the same account in Chrome on both machines, is browser/account syncing turned "on" in Chrome on both and/or are there any extensions running in Chrome?

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Are you signed into the same account in Chrome on both machines, is browser/account syncing turned "on" in Chrome on both and/or are there any extensions running in Chrome?
Here's where it gets difficult. The moment I launch Chrome, I hit Extensions, and it freezes. The instant I click on anything, it freezes, and thus I can't change anything. Sometimes it unfreezes after a few minutes, other times I have to Force Quit to get out. They are both signed into the main account that has always been used (again nothing has changed before this started), and I can't even check if Syncing is on. I believe it is. I'm going to try deleting and turning off all extensions when I can gain access.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you don't get anywhere see if you can create a new User Account on one of the Macs check to see if Chrome works with no sign-in to Google. If so, from that point you'll have to figure out a way to deactivate the syncing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.