Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Minneapolis
Ever since I upgraded to 10.12.4, Chrome freezes the entire computer on many sites for about 10 seconds with the spinning beachball/pinwheel.

An (unfortunate) example, but there are many others: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Safari doesn't have this problem.

I have tried disabling all extensions, a new profile with no extensions or anything, and it doesn't fix the problem at all.

I have tried all available versions of Chrome (Canary, etc.)

I believe I have isolated this problem to macOS 10.12.4, because I have another Mac on 10.12.3 which did not have this problem. As soon as I updated to 10.12.4, it did.

I believe the presence of HTML5 videos autoplaying might have something to do with it, as by blocking these I am able to somewhat improve performance and prevent freezing. But I'd rather use safari than deal with the hassle of custom blocking things on every page I want to see.

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
I upgraded to 10.12.4 when it came out but have not had the freezing problem until the last few days. It is now happening with all three browsers, Safari - Firefox - Chrome. I am also seeing more slow speeds just typing this post and when I work in excel. I did a complete reinstall two nights ago after my computer crashed. It was the situation where on startup, it would freeze halfway on the progress bar. Disk Utility repaired a missing file before that reinstall. I restored from my Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.