Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

testifix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
Hi,

I have a problem with Chrome, and tried regular Chrome, Crhome Beta, and Chrome Canary, and all show the same behavior.
When I open them, I get the below screen, and then Chrome closes immediately after opening, without a bug report.
1695657509591.png

I can't even open any menus within Chrome on the navigation bar.
The system I am using is a Catalina 10.15.17 that I have installed on my MB Air 2011 using the patcher from dosdude1.

The Catalina Console prints the following when from the moment Chrome open till it closes:

Sep 25 18:02:07 MBAir2011 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.mdmclient.3600): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /usr/libexec/mdmclient, error = 108: Invalid path
Sep 25 18:02:18 MBAir2011 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.02000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000[3593]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[116]
Sep 25 18:02:26 MBAir2011 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.4884[3594]): Service exited due to SIGTRAP | sent by exc handler[3594]

I googled and tried deleting the caches, Application Support, all Chrome- & Google-related folders, reinstall everything, to no avail.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: tonidavid5

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Any ideas what could be causing this?
Some third-party applications do not open or crash on launch
This is an issue Apple introduced in 10.15.4, and is not an issue with the patch itself. To work around this, immediately relaunch the affected application after receiving the crash message. After that point, the affected application should no longer experience this crash.”

testifix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
Many thanks for the feedback, @AlixSPQR

Unfortunately, I do not receive a crash message. Chrome opens and just closes again; no bug message whatsoever.
When I re-open Chrome, the same thing happens (closes 1-2 seconds after showing the blank page, no error message)

The only thing I see is in the OS-console, where this error shows up, but I have not been able to figure out what it means, and whether it's even relevant to the problem "Failed to bootstrap path: path = /usr/libexec/mdmclient, error = 108: Invalid path"

Reactions: AlixSPQR

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Many thanks for the feedback, @AlixSPQR

Unfortunately, I do not receive a crash message. Chrome opens and just closes again; no bug message whatsoever.
When I re-open Chrome, the same thing happens (closes 1-2 seconds after showing the blank page, no error message)

The only thing I see is in the OS-console, where this error shows up, but I have not been able to figure out what it means, and whether it's even relevant to the problem "Failed to bootstrap path: path = /usr/libexec/mdmclient, error = 108: Invalid path"
You're welcome.
Perhaps it's an issue with the patcher after all? In recovery mode, you should be able to reinstall the patches.
Another way is to install a newer macOS with the help of OCLP, a newer patcher service. Dosdude is a contributor. I have a MBP Late 2011 with Monterey, it works fine.
A third way is to use the last native macOS, which would be High Sierra, and then use Chromium-legacy, which is mostly equivalent with Chrome.

testifix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
Fanstastic hint, @AlixSPQR. I wasn't aware there was another patcher, I thought Catalina is as good as it gets on my MBair2011.

Just updated from High Sierra using DosDude's Patcher to Catalina, will now look into OCLP that you recommended to see if I can get it to Monterey.

Thanks again, will post back if that solved my problems.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

lucasbujo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2017
Same the start to happening over here today, exactly the sam as describe testifix on the firs post, installed older version doesn't work, got blank screen as if browser will start but crash without any warning o crash report.

Anyone else?

LB

Reactions: tonidavid5

lucasbujo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2017
I installl
Try with an older version
Or use Chromium || MS Edge (those are almost Chrome itself)
Thanks! I install the version google-chrome-116-0-5845-141 from September 1th and it is open Ok, but Chrome get updated automatically and this issue back again, i Search a lot the way to deactivate auto update on chrome but seems is not easy way to doit, after several attempts I had no succeed so decide to use another browser insted

LB

macOS Catalina patched 10.15.7

Reactions: appltech

testifix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
I upgraded directly to Ventura, on my MB Air 2011, doing a clean install (wiping entire harddisk).

It works relatively OK, only things I observe:
- Sometimes a flickering of windows / menus
- Sometimes high fan speed
- Sometimes Apps won't start anymore and I need to reboot (eventhough there is RAM + CPU available)

Thanks again for the hints!

Reactions: appltech

packzap

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2022
This problem occurs with all Chromium based browsers now (Chrome, Brave, Edge) on Catalina 10.15.7. The three browsers just load a plain white interface and then crash a minute or so later.

My MacBook error console says:
Code:
Sandbox: Google Chrome He(1338) deny(1) file-read-data /Library/Apple/System/Library/Frameworks/SafariServices.framework/Versions/A/SafariServices

I have no idea what a Safari service has to do with Chrome? But, that's what it says! 🤔 The Firefox browser works fine (enabling me to post this, thank God!).

testifix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
Overall, I'm quite happy with the upgrade to Ventura @packzap, maybe you want to consider it as well..
I had to do a clean install though, when I first just upgraded, it was way too slow.

Cheers

Pinktomato

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
I had this problem when I cloned the hard driver to update to an SSD -- Everything worked perfectly apart from Chrome where it would try an open, display the blank page where it would look for profiles then quit. I spent and entire day on and off trying to sort the issue out. Trying to stop chrome updating, lots of other things like deleting libraries, plist files all sorts of things. Yes indeed you can get chrome to run in a sandbox however I found that we cannot login to certain sites that we needed to access. In the end I came to the conclusion it was something to do with certification of the application. To get it working in the end we re-installed Catalina. This was done with the Option R so when Catalina came back all the user data and apps were there. And Chrome worked again. I takes less than about an hour to restore the OS and I wish I had done it first time around as I could have saved myself hours. Do have a timemachine backup of everything - But it seems to have fixed the problem and I hope that helps someone out.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, can you please consult noob (me) how to lauch browser with this command in one click?

open /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app --args --no-sandbox

In Windows i would add these to shortcut or create a *.bat file, but i can't find easy step-by-step guide for osx.

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
I wiped out on exactly the problem described to start this thread, EXCEPT, I have been running Catalina and Brave together without any problem before today.

Now, I want to find out what changed that made this problem suddenly appear.

I have started running Brave with sandbox turned off, using the command line as described above:

Code:
open /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app --args --no-sandbox

I am thinking I broke my installation when I removed Express VPN (I think Express VPN might do nothing to keep the government out of my web activity). What is bad is I got excited removing it, deleting files from the system library (/Library) I thought were put there by ExpressVPN. To prove what an idiot I am I made a backup of the the library....

.... the minute I discovered I was having a problem. <-idiot.

Another thing I did today was install an update of Safari. I have a complete snapshot of my system from a week ago, comparing it what I have now. This screen shot shows were differences are to System Library

1703983273500.png

1703981981400.png

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
I had this problem when I cloned the hard driver to update to an SSD -- Everything worked perfectly apart from Chrome where it would try an open, display the blank page where it would look for profiles then quit. I spent and entire day on and off trying to sort the issue out. Trying to stop chrome updating, lots of other things like deleting libraries, plist files all sorts of things. Yes indeed you can get chrome to run in a sandbox however I found that we cannot login to certain sites that we needed to access. In the end I came to the conclusion it was something to do with certification of the application. To get it working in the end we re-installed Catalina. This was done with the Option R so when Catalina came back all the user data and apps were there. And Chrome worked again. I takes less than about an hour to restore the OS and I wish I had done it first time around as I could have saved myself hours. Do have a timemachine backup of everything - But it seems to have fixed the problem and I hope that helps someone out.
I want to give this trail a try. Before trying, I'd verify the steps. This is a big ask. I am hoping you or someone else who knows can read what I am writing here and let me kmow if I have it right. There is one step I do not know at all.

STARTING POINT
Starting with my cheese grater macpro, built in 2012, I put Catalina on it using dosdude's patch. I have no problems since October till today.. I am not sure how/why the fail of Brave Browser (which is built on the same Chromium foundation as Google Chrome) started. But now it fails just a described at the start of this thread. I can get around it using the open with sandbox off command at the command line

SOLUTION
Re-install Catalina

Can I use the bootable installation partition I put on a thumb drive to get Catalina onto my computer?

How do you tell the thing to do a reinstall without blitzing everything on the receiving partition?

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.