Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
If you've been using Safari for ages and just used Chrome for the first time on that machine, it could be Safari's cache & other temp files have just grown very big and clunky. Did you try to clear these caches in Safari already? Would be surprised if with clean cache there is much noticeable performance difference between the two.

Besides, do you have any ad-blockers installed in Chrome but not in Safari? That could speed up loading times a lot on ad-heavy sites, but then the ad-blocker makes the difference.

Reactions: omultphy

omultphy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
If you've been using Safari for ages and just used Chrome for the first time on that machine, it could be Safari's cache & other temp files have just grown very big and clunky. Did you try to clear these caches in Safari already? Would be surprised if with clean cache there is much noticeable performance difference between the two.

Besides, do you have any ad-blockers installed in Chrome but not in Safari? That could speed up loading times a lot on ad-heavy sites, but then the ad-blocker makes the difference.
May be this is it. I do have an adblocker enabled in chrome. but something like twitter website is way faster on chrome with or without the Adblock. Same goes on to loading pdfs etc

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
The other day an old thread about Safari being slow was bumped. In it @asv56kx3088 had suggested turning off all options under search preferences and I'll be, it really made Safari much faster for me. On all of my machines, Edge & Firefox would blow Safari out of the water but after unchecking these preferences* Safari is every bit as fast as other browsers for me.

(*I now have "Include search engine suggestions" and "Show Favorites" checked, and it is still zooming along.)

• Love
Reactions: asv56kx3088

dadders6

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
I was thinking of posting a similar thread. "Anecdotally' it seems that Safari bogs down more often than chrome (Catalina). Frequently I get impatient with Safari not opening up a website from 'favorites', just X out of it and open with Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.