Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
Im having a weird issue with Google Chrome on a new M1 MacBook Pro, what is happening is I have downloaded and installed the ARM version of Chrome from Google website and it installs as 'arm64', after some time for some reason Chrome reverts to 'x86_64 translated' and I can tell because the program feels slower and pages don't load as quickly.

Tried deleting Chrome from Applications and deleting the Chrome profile in ~/Library and /Library and it still keeps reverting after a few launches after reinstalling.

Has anyone seen this issue happening?

UPDATE: Ok, figured it out, turns out that Datto RMM kept pushing out the x86 version of Chrome instead of the arm64 version, remove Google Chrome from the policy and its stuck with arm64 since.

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Have you checked in activity monitor, that kind is really Intel and not Apple?

(Kind is not shown by default, but can be enabled by right clicking on the column headers on the CPU page)

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
Im having a weird issue with Google Chrome on a new M1 MacBook Pro, what is happening is I have downloaded and installed the ARM version of Chrome from Google website and it installs as 'arm64', after some time for some reason Chrome reverts to 'x86_64 translated' and I can tell because the program feels slower and pages don't load as quickly.

Tried deleting Chrome from Applications and deleting the Chrome profile in ~/Library and /Library and it still keeps reverting after a few launches after reinstalling.

That’s what happens when you don’t use the App Store.:)

scottharr27

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012

UPDATE: Ok, figured it out, turns out that Datto RMM kept pushing out the x86 version of Chrome instead of the arm64 version, remove Google Chrome from the policy and its stuck with arm64 since.
This is happening to me too. Can you explain how I "remove Google Chrome from the policy"? I assume you mean Datta RMM policy but I'm not sure what that is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.