Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, if this has already been asked, or brought up, I apologize . I'm just trying to get answers as quick and easy as possible.

I've had a really good and smooth upgrade to Catalina, however, one problem i can't seem to solve on my own is: none of my notifications seem to be showing up from google chrome. I'm not sure if macos asked if i wanted to allow Chrome notifications, but if it did I allowed them, as I did with every other app that has asked.

I'm running the latest version of Google Chrome on a late 2015 27" iMac with the public release of Catalina 10.15.
I have gone into system preferences:notifications and made sure Chrome was enabled. I also checked notifications settings in Chrome under site settings. I even removed the sites I had allowed, and yes Chrome asked again, and I clicked allow, however nothing actually comes from chrome in notification center.

FireFox works as expected, it's the other browser i use in addition to Safari. If this is something I need to wait for Google to fix, that's fine, I just haven't been able to find any information on it. Thanks again.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I could have written everything you said about Chrome verbatim. Catalina install has been relatively smooth, but notifications are not working in Chrome. In particular, I rely on alerts with sound for Chrome's Hangouts extension. They are turned on in System Preferences, but they're not working.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I could have written everything you said about Chrome verbatim. Catalina install has been relatively smooth, but notifications are not working in Chrome. In particular, I rely on alerts with sound for Chrome's Hangouts extension. They are turned on in System Preferences, but they're not working.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm just trying to see if anyone else is having the same issue(s). Most of my questions I've had about the upgrade, I've been able to answer without having to start a new thread somewhere and ask. The chrome issue was the last one, I wasn't able to find an answer to. At least the browser runs without issue, I'll wait for Google to update chrome, and or Apple to fix it, if it's on their end. Most okey though, Chrome simply needs an update. Everything else has transitioned nicely, and my only real problems were what I expected, my 32-bit apps no longer work. This are mainly GOG games though and can run in windows.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Awimoway

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I had a problem with an MS Word plugin causing Word to crash, but I uninstalled it and Word works fine. That's the only other issue I've had. Anyway, yeah, I hope Google is aware of this problem and fixes it soon. I've sent them a bug report. I hope you have too.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I'm just giving a quick follow-up. I wiped my computer clean, and did a clean install of Catalina, then when released, installed the supplemental update. While this didn't fix the Chrome issue, it did resolve many of the little glitches that came through doing an upgrade vs a clean install. It did however let me confirm that Chrome does ask permission to allow notifications in macOS , and I clicked allow. What seems to be specifically broken is website notifications, not the ability for Chrome to ask for, and be given permission to send notifications in Catalina. I did send feedback to YouTube, as they are the main site I use this feature on in Chrome. So it's been about a week now, so I'll see what comes of it. FireFox works as expected, so does Safari, and for tasks such as browsing and casting video Chrome works as expected. So, with this said, this is an app specific issue, and I can rule out upgrade problems here, since I've started over clean.

Catalina overall is a nice update.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Chrome notifications work for me. Can't say I've done anything specific.
Are you possibly using a different version from me? I'm using the latest stable version: 77.0.3865.120

As I am working with a complete clean os, and a clean install of Chrome, as mentioned I was asked to allow notifications when I launched chrome, however I don't get push from sites such as YouTube regarding newly posted videos, however, I do in FireFox. I haven't done anything different. In Fact, I double checked and checked google's help on notifications, and made surety were turned on in Youtube settings via desktop notifications, and I checked in the address bar that notifications were set to allow for the site. All settings are as they should be, just nothing gets pushed.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Looks like we are on the same version.

Really odd. I don't have them on YouTube as I rarely use that, but I just got a load to come in from various other sites. Are you logged into that browser window with your Google account that is expecting those notifications?

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Looks like we are on the same version.

Really odd. I don't have them on YouTube as I rarely use that, but I just got a load to come in from various other sites. Are you logged into that browser window with your Google account that is expecting those notifications?
Yes I am, and your above behavior is what is normal for YouTube as well. If I haven't been there for a while in Chrome, and I open it, I get a flood of notifications. To clarify a bit more. I do still get the red dot with the white number on the bell icon, so notifications are working, however I'm simply not get the push notifications to the Mac. I did try a suggestion I read on Google's forums a while back, which was to disable native notifications in Chrome's more advanced flags configuration, however that made no difference. This problem isn't exclusive to Chrome either. I use a program called "Amadeus Pro" for audio, and under Catalina (latest version of the app) doesn't even ask for system permission to send notifications. The app itself runs fine, and I've reported the issue to the developer, and he's aware of it. With Chrome, it's a bit harder because I don't know who to contact at Google. As I did mention though, I sent feedback to YouTube, so hopefully they communicate internally with chrome developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.