Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Hey guys. For some reason Google Chrome starts up whenever I turn on my Mac.
It's not like a browser window opens, but the indicator under the dock icon lights up. Why is that?

It only started doing that for the last... what, two days now? At least I noticed it for the last couple of days. (Maybe since the update to Chrome version 21?)

What could be causing this?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey guys. For some reason Google Chrome starts up whenever I turn on my Mac.
It's not like a browser window opens, but the indicator under the dock icon lights up. Why is that?

It only started doing that for the last... what, two days now? At least I noticed it for the last couple of days. (Maybe since the update to Chrome version 21?)

What could be causing this?
Delete any occurrences of Chrome from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

• /Library/StartupItems/
Also, make sure to quit Chrome before you shut down or restart your Mac.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Delete any occurrences of Chrome from the following locations:
System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
(Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

Yeah. For some reason Chrome was in that list. I wonder why. I didn't do it...

cento79

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
In my case, I had to remove the Google Auto Update "com.google.keystone.agent.plist" from /Library/LaunchAgents/ too.
Hope this helps

Rad1sh

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
In my case, I had to remove the Google Auto Update "com.google.keystone.agent.plist" from /Library/LaunchAgents/ too.
Hope this helps

Likewise, I had exactly the same file in "LaunchAgents". Removing it worked for me, but also need to ensure quitting Chrome on shutdown, not simply closing the browser. Never had the need to "quit" before, but no bad thing I guess. Thank you for the original list of solutions, as nothing else had worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.