Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
About 2 or 3 days ago, the chromecast icon popped up in my YouTube app on both my iPhone and iPad, except I don't own a chromecast! When I tap it, my only option is "New HD Living" and I can connect to it. Not really sure what it could be. Anyone have any similar experiences or have any idea what it could be?

EDIT: I'm not on a college or work network either. No public network in general, just my house.

Last edited:

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Isn't it over the network though? At least that was the impression I was under. Could be me just not doing enough research. ;)

That's what I thought too. Maybe someone stealing your Wi-Fi.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
That's what I thought too. Maybe someone stealing your Wi-Fi.

I wouldn't think so, as it's password protected, and none of my neighbors know our password. Plus I believe they all have their own wifi, so I don't know why they would. :confused: I'll have to check my router tomorrow, see if it shows any chromecasts connected to the network.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think the button shows up, even if there isn't another device on the network to accept the feed. It's not like AirPlay that prompts you only when there is another AirPlay capable device on the network.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Ahhhh. That's gotta be it. I have a TiVo and a ps3. I just recently updated the PS3, so that's gotta be what it is! Thanks guys! Learned something new today! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.