Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
I have reactivated the Netflix subscription to see if it improves and these boys do not stop surprising me

They have banned Firefox 78 ESR of El Capitan and Yosemite but it is still worked with Mavericks with a superb quality:-:. I had to download the "premium" version of 78 ESR in Mavericks a few years ago. Sure !

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I have reactivated the Netflix subscription to see if it improves and these boys do not stop surprising me

They have banned Firefox 78 ESR of El Capitan and Yosemite but it is still worked with Mavericks with a superb quality:-:. I had to download the "premium" version of 78 ESR in Mavericks a few years ago. Sure !
I can't get Netflix in Firefox 78 ESR in Mavericks - it says "Update required", and then lists the minimum requirements, of which Mavericks is not one. Having said that, most websites still work fine there.

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
I can't get Netflix in Firefox 78 ESR in Mavericks - it says "Update required", and then lists the minimum requirements, of which Mavericks is not one. Having said that, most websites still work fine there.
Here you have it working perfectly. That's why I said that Netflix always does very strange things to me. Fiefox 78 esr is on three operating systems until its end. Mavericks, the oldest one, works correctly for me, Yosemite tells me the same as you that it is necessary to update it and the same thing happens in El Capitan. Netflix has always done these strange things to me. Until not long ago I watched Netflix on Safari 9. Chromium is banned in all three

Screenshot at ene 12 23-18-13.png

Screenshot at ene 12 23-17-31.png

Reactions: MacBiter

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Seems like Catalina could be added to the list as well. Regular Chrome seemingly hasn't worked for a while now, and not with hardware acceleration. Chromium Legacy is better choice for non-Metal Catalina.

Reactions: sdfox7

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Seems like Catalina could be added to the list as well. Regular Chrome seemingly hasn't worked for a while now, and not with hardware acceleration. Chromium Legacy is better choice for non-Metal Catalina.

Good tip. I have hardware acceleration disabled on all my non-metal Macs, definitely smoother.

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.33.09 AM.png

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Good tip. I have hardware acceleration disabled on all my non-metal Macs, definitely smoother.

View attachment 2362892
In most cases it definitely is smoother when turned on, on the mac I've tried it on. An early 2009 24-inch iMac. But that probably depends on the graphics card. Google Maps is unusable without acceleration for example, and Three.js stuff runs great on the GT130

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
In most cases it definitely is smoother when turned on, on the mac I've tried it on. An early 2009 24-inch iMac. But that probably depends on the graphics card. Google Maps is unusable without acceleration for example, and Three.js stuff runs great on the GT130

Can you please elaborate? It works fine for me.

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.57.11 PM.png

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Hey! So, a couple of things:
  1. On older operating systems (I'm admittedly not sure exactly which ones, but certainly on 10.9 and below), Chromium Legacy will largely run without graphics acceleration regardless of whether it's enabled in Settings. The toggle in settings does turn off a few extra bits of acceleration, however, and may improve stability, at the cost of performance in e.g. 3D games.
  2. If you're using Catalina but have incomplete ("non-metal") graphics drivers, you should be able to also run official Google Chrome and turn off graphics acceleration in settings.
  3. If you're running 10.10 or below, you definitely aren't using Metal, because it doesn't exist in these operating systems. It doesn't matter what hardware you're using!
  4. Google Maps works fine for me without graphics acceleration, although I suppose this will depend on the speed of your CPU.

• Love

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
If you're using Catalina but have incomplete ("non-metal") graphics drivers, you should be able to also run official Google Chrome and turn off graphics acceleration in settings.
For some reason it started crashing for me in a recent update, sometime last year. Not being able to be launched unless I run it with parameters disabling acceleration, but even then it was finicky.
Chromium Legacy works great, even with graphics acceleration, so I guess there is some difference in the build.
Google Maps works fine for me without graphics acceleration, although I suppose this will depend on the speed of your CPU.
It has always worked slow, especially streetview. But it also doesn't seem to scroll smoothly without acceleration, it only scrolls in steps it seems. Panning, especially in Firefox doesn't work well without graphics acceleration.
But that probably indeed depends on the CPU :)

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
For some reason it started crashing for me in a recent update, sometime last year.
Oh, I guess you may have trouble starting it at all in theory... I'd expect launching with --disable-gpu to completely fix that though...

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Oh, I guess you may have trouble starting it at all in theory... I'd expect launching with --disable-gpu to completely fix that though...
That did fix it initially but as you can understand, not ideal. GPU acceleration used to work fine in regular Chrome, Firefox as well. But now Chromium Legacy is the only option for me

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I have updated my PrefPane downloader to include a patch that will significantly improve the stability and performance of WebGL on OS X 10.9. Please redownload from the usual link.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Can you please say if the downloader should be working with High Sierra, 10.13.6? Perhaps I made some mistakes in installing it, but after I installed it Chromium Legacy wouldn't visit any sites.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I only test the PrefPane on 10.6 – 10.9. On more recent versions of macOS, try downloading builds directly from Github.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.