Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not religious at all, but for some reason, churches inspire certain types of shots. Here's a few from a recent outing:

DSC_7299_glow.jpg

DSC_7298_glow.jpg

DSC_7293_glow.jpg

These are of St. Paul's Cathedral in Oakland, Pittsburgh, PA.

All taken with the D2h and 35mm f2.0 at around f2 and ISO 400-800

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i really like the first two, not a huge fan of churches myself, but those are some great shots! great lighting, seems like they were timed just right

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
PlaceofDis said:
i really like the first two, not a huge fan of churches myself, but those are some great shots! great lighting, seems like they were timed just right

Thanks. It definitely was the right time of day, with just a bit of hard sun peeking through some clouds, later afternoon-- perfect time for shots like this. :)

thanks. i for some reason, really am attracted to churches. Maybe it's my inner-goth....

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Moxiemike said:
Thanks. It definitely was the right time of day, with just a bit of hard sun peeking through some clouds, later afternoon-- perfect time for shots like this. :)

thanks. i for some reason, really am attracted to churches. Maybe it's my inner-goth....

they do make for interesting material probably because of their architechture, and they vary so much from church to church, no two are the same, so i agree that they can definitely make for some interesting material

my old church holds 2000+ people, about 150 years old, it would certianly make for some interesting pictures depending upon the time of day....maybe ill get around to that one of these days :rolleyes:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I think the last one is really great. Nice work. Are they the actual photos, or do you touch them up a bit with a photo editor?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Koodauw said:
I think the last one is really great. Nice work. Are they the actual photos, or do you touch them up a bit with a photo editor?

To answer you're question, they're actual photos that i touch up a bit in photoshop. These more than others.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It really has nothing to do with being religious or not. Churches are monument architecture and if designed correctly, will inspire awe and wonder. If you look at architecture over the past several millennium, God or Gods have been a central figure many of the best examples of buildings of every era.

Great shots, though.

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
All three pictures are very nice Moxiemike, thank you. Catholic church architecture is very awe inspiring.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How's the acoustics of that church? I won't attend any church services if I can't hear the minister, or if the sacred word of God is mired in echoes.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Those are really nice. While I like all three, I am really into the last two. I think due to their interesting perspective and lighting. Very nice.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
tech4all said:
Those are really nice. While I like all three, I am really into the last two. I think due to their interesting perspective and lighting. Very nice.

Yea. I agree that the lighting worked out best in those last two. lucky timing. ;)

Ive been doing lots of skewed perspective shots of late. good stuff. adds a lot of motion and interest, i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.