Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Something cool I just "discovered" that I have to share !

You can attach your ethernet dongle to the back of the LED ACD (display) and attach it directly to your Time Capsule / Airport Base Station !

So when you are "docked" to your ACD... you can use a direct (more reliable / consistent?) connection.

(I know that the dongle attached to the back of the ACD has been reported before.... I just for some reason, did not know it would also work connected to Time Capsule (I should not think this is something special considering the TC is a router as well)

--> Anyone have other ACD setup tricks / ideas?

I am curious about the following :

1. Is there a way to make the (application) dock change positions when attached to the ACD?

(for example... on my MBA..I have the dock on the left (so I have more screen real estate to view web pages)... and when I connect to the display, I move the dock to the bottom)

2. Can you "make" the computer select the ethernet port when docked, even if wifi is still active on the MBA ?

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
I do that when I'm docked to a 4 port USB hub... nothing new..

It may be nothing new, but for those of us who hadn't heard about it before it's a great idea! I'm always trying to get my docking time down, and by getting rid of plugging in an Ethernet cable will definitely help out there.

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
If the Ethernet and Wi-Fi are on the same network, it should automatically choose the faster connection. Note, however, that active connections (if you connect to your Time Capsule from the couch and then move to the desk while still connected) will remain over the Wi-Fi because the Ethernet has a different IP address so it's a "different computer"

You can also create a different Location in your network settings that disables the Wi-Fi and use MarcoPolo to swap over to it when you are connected to your monitor or your ethernet.

I cannot say enough about how awesome MarcoPolo is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.