Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Okay, with the lowered prices of the Cinema Displays, I'm debating getting one. My question is, what's the refresh rate on it compared to a CRT? I always use a CRT for playback with video, simply due to bad experiences with other non-mac lcds. Has anyone ever noticed reduced quality with the cinema display compared to using a CRT? I'd get the 20", due to the price and the fact I work in SD-only anyway. It'd serve as the external monitor on my Powerbook. Thanks.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
FrankieTDouglas said:
Okay, with the lowered prices of the Cinema Displays, I'm debating getting one. My question is, what's the refresh rate on it compared to a CRT? I always use a CRT for playback with video, simply due to bad experiences with other non-mac lcds. Has anyone ever noticed reduced quality with the cinema display compared to using a CRT? I'd get the 20", due to the price and the fact I work in SD-only anyway. It'd serve as the external monitor on my Powerbook. Thanks.

I have a 17" apple cinema display and have no problems with playback. However I recommed that you use a tv monitor to playback your work. You can never tell what your finished product will look like untill it is played on the specific device it was meant for. Most of the time colors such as red look very different on monitors versus tv's. Working with a tv also assures everything is framed within the safe zone.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Its not just Apple... in fact their LCDs are not the greatest ones out there.

Any "good" brand (i.e., Dell, Samsung, Apple, Sony, etc.) has LCD monitors that are stunning and have great refresh rates, colors, etc.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I own a 20" CinemaDisplay and LOVE it.

I ditched my ViewSonic CRT and couldn't be happier. It's incredibly sharp and the colors are beautiful (you might have to ColorSync it though). Very little if any ghosting, trailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.