Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
OK- so I just got my new 20 inch Cinema Display, and I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if they're all this way... When compared to a CRT monitor, the screen is very gritty. When I look at an area of solid color, it is not smooth like on my CRTs. It is a little hard to explain, but it looks dirty and pixelly. It appears to be on the surface of the screen, as this pattern remains still as I slide elements around underneath it.

I am running at native resolution-through my brand new dual G5, so I'm wondering is this just how LCDs are? I've read that perhaps it has something to do with the anti-glare coating on the surface of the screen.

I don't know, but I am thinking of returning this and picking up a Lacie CRT or something. Even looking at the standard Tiger desktop, it has the effect of a badly compressed jpeg when looked at closely. Any insights?

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
decksnap said:
OK- so I just got my new 20 inch Cinema Display, and I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if they're all this way... When compared to a CRT monitor, the screen is very gritty. When I look at an area of solid color, it is not smooth like on my CRTs. It is a little hard to explain, but it looks dirty and pixelly. It appears to be on the surface of the screen, as this pattern remains still as I slide elements around underneath it.

I am running at native resolution-through my brand new dual G5, so I'm wondering is this just how LCDs are? I've read that perhaps it has something to do with the anti-glare coating on the surface of the screen.

I don't know, but I am thinking of returning this and picking up a Lacie CRT or something. Even looking at the standard Tiger desktop, it has the effect of a badly compressed jpeg when looked at closely. Any insights?

Are you sure all the video settings are correct? Try taking a picture of it. Are the colors set to "millions"? in the pref panel?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
I do have the colors set to millions- believe me, I checked- I don't believe that a screen grab will capture the phenomenon, but I haven't tried that yet. Unfortunately I'm at the office right now (On my Lacie 22) and can't do it now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is just how they are... I don't have a lot of LCD experience, although I did check out a few of the Apple laptops around the office today and didn't notice the effect I'm getting on my display. Is it possible I have the contrast too high? It's like, if I sat far enough away, I wouldn't notice it, but I can't read text at the native resolution from much of a distance... and if I change the resolution, well it just looks like crap. (Unlike CRTs)

drison

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Ohio
decksnap said:
I do have the colors set to millions- believe me, I checked- I don't believe that a screen grab will capture the phenomenon, but I haven't tried that yet. Unfortunately I'm at the office right now (On my Lacie 22) and can't do it now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is just how they are... I don't have a lot of LCD experience, although I did check out a few of the Apple laptops around the office today and didn't notice the effect I'm getting on my display. Is it possible I have the contrast too high? It's like, if I sat far enough away, I wouldn't notice it, but I can't read text at the native resolution from much of a distance... and if I change the resolution, well it just looks like crap. (Unlike CRTs)

It's most likely the anti-glare coating you are seeing. Some of the higher resolution lcd's can exhibit almost a "sand" effect. If this is your first high res lcd then it may just be that you weren't expecting it. Of course, if you think it is extreme, you should have it looked at by a professional.

-Dave

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
If it IS the anti-glare, I'm amazed there is not more discussion of this on the web. I can't seem to find much talk of the grittiness.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
It am using the standard card that came with the Dual 2.3- I believe the Radeon 9800?

I will play with it some more I guess... Just thought someone else might be able to corroborate what I'm seeing.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Nope- I can look into that- thanks. Although you would think with a brand new computer like this it would have the right driver, no?

billyergs

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2005
CT
I have an ATI x800 and text looked really grainy on my lcd so I updated the driver from ATI. Then went into system preferences > ATI displays and click on Detect Displays. After the screen flashes the text problem is fixed.

Now my problem is figuring out how to do this automatcally at startup because text looks bad again whenever I restart.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Well basically it's the effect of like if you had a dirty CRT. I can see that when I move stuff around, the 'gritty' texture of the screen stays in one place on top of what's on my screen.

Damnit I forgot to take a picture. Looks like I'm headed to the Apple store this weekend to compare. I guess I should have done that to begin with.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
billyergs said:
I have an ATI x800 and text looked really grainy on my lcd so I updated the driver from ATI. Then went into system preferences > ATI displays and click on Detect Displays. After the screen flashes the text problem is fixed.

Now my problem is figuring out how to do this automatcally at startup because text looks bad again whenever I restart.

I didn't know there was an update x800 drive from Ati. I thought Apple released those with the OS.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
risc said:
I have 2 hooked up to a Radeon 9800 XT and I'd agree.

Oh yeah? Well my dads bigger than your dad!

Hehe jk - but yeh seriously mate, I don't think any 'grittiness' is normal, and I wouldn't tolerate it in any monitor, let alone an ACD.

andy.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
decksnap said:
Well basically it's the effect of like if you had a dirty CRT. I can see that when I move stuff around, the 'gritty' texture of the screen stays in one place on top of what's on my screen.

Just a thought... Is your LCD screen dirty? Have you tried using a screen cleaning wipe thingy? Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

Get it checked out at an Apple store.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Hey, just a question........

Do you have an Apple Store anywhere nearby you that you could possibly get to and take a look at their same LCD's and compare it to yours. If not, I also recommend taking a screen shot of it and posting it up.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I must say - i'm in a similar situation to the original poster - I hadn't really thought much of it - and just thought I should put my glasses on but there's is a slight grainy quality to my 20" ACD... it's not terrible, and probably less severe that what the original poster described - just thought I'd say "me too" (gotta get the ol' post count up :rolleyes: :p )

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
I just now took a peak at someone's 17 inch iMac G5- Their screen seems to show the same phenomenon, altough I believe it to be a bit less severe. I am thinking this is just how they are. Werrr! Time to get a big fat CRT.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I'm fairly certain when I got my 23" ACD it had a peel-off plastic layer for shipping (though, I could be confusing it with something else). I know that is sort of obvious but you know, half the time people call tech support cause they forgot to plug in the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.