Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
Its a great feature to use and the Quality of Iphone 13 pro and 14 pro is outstanding I guess after these type of phones no one need a professional Camera.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Its a great feature to use and the Quality of Iphone 13 pro and 14 pro is outstanding I guess after these type of phones no one need a professional Camera.
I wouldn't say that. It's quite good for a hobby film, but comparing it to real pros:

You've got a few shots where the focus wanders aimlessly and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking at. Can the focus on an iPhone be fixed, like in a regular camera? (Effectively turning the autofocus off and keeping a fixed distance in focus, or having someone manually control the focus to track a specific action.)

Phones with tiny lenses can't be as good in low light as those with larger ones. The iPhones low light tricks tend to only work for stills, or leave visible artifacts. Many of the good aspects of shooting with a phone are mooted if you try to add lighting.

Zoom remains weak compared to what a camcorder can do.

I'm not aware that tripods with handle control exist for phones. I find this vital, so that I can keep my eyes on what is going on around me, rather then on the camera.

- I do wish Apple would make a camcorder. DSLRs are an awkward form factor for video, particularly event coverage. The market is wide open.

Reactions: EdwardMatthew

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
I wouldn't say that. It's quite good for a hobby film, but comparing it to real pros:

You've got a few shots where the focus wanders aimlessly and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking at. Can the focus on an iPhone be fixed, like in a regular camera? (Effectively turning the autofocus off and keeping a fixed distance in focus, or having someone manually control the focus to track a specific action.)

Phones with tiny lenses can't be as good in low light as those with larger ones. The iPhones low light tricks tend to only work for stills, or leave visible artifacts. Many of the good aspects of shooting with a phone are mooted if you try to add lighting.

Zoom remains weak compared to what a camcorder can do.

I'm not aware that tripods with handle control exist for phones. I find this vital, so that I can keep my eyes on what is going on around me, rather then on the camera.

- I do wish Apple would make a camcorder. DSLRs are an awkward form factor for video, particularly event coverage. The market is wide open.
While the iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro offer outstanding quality and impressive features, professional cameras still have certain advantages in areas such as focus control, low-light performance, zoom capabilities, and dedicated accessories like tripods with handle control. Each device has its strengths, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.