Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I have been think for a while about moving on from my normal Wacom tablet to one with a built in screen. I would use it in addition to a full size colour calibrated screen and use the tablet to aid fine editing. The Wacom options seem good but I could also connect an iPad Pro to my Mac and use it in the same way. The added bonus of course being that I can use the iPad for other uses as well which makes it very tempting.

Does anyone have experience of using either one or both and are there pitfalls I may not have considered?

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Well i’ve always wanted a cintiq but since apple announced apple pencil i wanted that instead.

My friend argued that wacom is the industry standard so i had to buy it instead but while its true, i also think bc they monopolized the industry they could raise the price however they want. With cintiq you can only use it with your computer. Wacom has mobilestudio pro which is basically wacoms version of surface but yeah its windows. I just thought ipad pro+pencil is better bc you can do much more and it can double as your laptop.

I havent tried the sidecar since i have 2010 mbp but i have tried astropad and i think its slow and i guess i just hate navigating computers UI. So there will be a potential problem if you want to make the ipad as a second screen. Ipad is definitely an issue if youre not sure if you can do the same thing you do on your computer. If youre sure about it then yeah go ipad is the absolute better choice imo. Even wacom reduced their price tags when ipads are proven popular among creative jobs. So you can get cintiq for cheaper now. But cintiq is guaranteed tk have all your fav apps. But i think their quality is kinda bad now, my wacom intuos pro had so much performance and hardware issues for example where my older wacom didnt.

As for me, I cannot speak fot everyone but i prefer ipad. I have tried my friends companion and the ui was cumbersome to touch and it was HEAVY. It was also super slow, as slow as 6 yo mbp. And besides ipad is cheaper than cintiq companion. It can also do much more compared to regular cintiq. Id say get an ipad but keep your regular wacom...

Also something you have to note, regular tablet vs touch tablet is preference issue. My two friends couldnt get used to their ipads meanwhile its my main device. Theres a possibility you wouldnt like using your ipad/cintiq so think this through. Just because it looks natural doesnt mean it feels natural. There is some texture issue (glass vs paper) that can create some disconnect if you are used to writing/drawing on paper and try to imagine the experience is equal. And some people are too used to use a regular tablet their hand and eye coordination is already wired to regular tablet. Oh forgot to say all my friends mentioned are artists not graphic designers/photographers. I figured these jobs can easily adapt to touch tablet... compared to digital artists.... maybe? But its still good to consider that you probably wouldnt like it.

Reactions: steveash

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I have been thinking about the same but haven't pulled the trigger. Currently using the Intuos Pro, with the Cintiq/Ipad being the logical progression. Just researching at this point but will keep and eye on this thread. Biggest disadvantage to the Cintiq (other than price) is it's physical weathering to the Mac, as it becomes dated the connections disappeared from the Mac and need dongle adapters for the graphic connections, etc. Technically, my current iPad may work but better to upgrade to Pro for the ver 2 pen. While would work good for basic touchpad/mouse inputs with most programs, such as photoshop, there may be an issue with the potential limitation of the Apple pen. Specifically, a program such as Corel Painter is loaded with brushes which respond to the pressure and angle of the pen with the program designed around the Cintiq Art Pen. The Apple pen may to have the flexability to respond on the multi-dimensional basis. That is the big issue I need to resolve before making the switch. Apple's wireless connection would be a huge plus.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I had thought that the Wacom mobile studio might be the best solution as it can run Photoshop natively but you need the top spec model to get a sensible amount of ram and all the menus and panels are designed with a much larger screen in mind.

When Adobe finally release PS for iPad it could be a good alternative.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have been think for a while about moving on from my normal Wacom tablet to one with a built in screen. I would use it in addition to a full size colour calibrated screen and use the tablet to aid fine editing. The Wacom options seem good but I could also connect an iPad Pro to my Mac and use it in the same way. The added bonus of course being that I can use the iPad for other uses as well which makes it very tempting.

Does anyone have experience of using either one or both and are there pitfalls I may not have considered?
If you can, I would wait to make a decision until Apple releases iOS 13 (iPad OS 13?) and and macOS 15 "Catalina" this autumn. While there are third-party programs that should theoretically allow the iPad to function like a Wacom, Apple is implementing such functionality natively (called "sidecar" if you want to read more about it). It's not entirely clear how well it will perform and, more importantly, how much effort will be required for support in third-party programs. If it works with everything as expected from day one then it'd be a no-brainer to get the iPad, but for the amount of money we're talking about, I'd recommend seeing how it works and if that fits your intended workflow before making the choice.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
If you can, I would wait to make a decision until Apple releases iOS 13 (iPad OS 13?) and and macOS 15 "Catalina" this autumn. While there are third-party programs that should theoretically allow the iPad to function like a Wacom, Apple is implementing such functionality natively (called "sidecar" if you want to read more about it). It's not entirely clear how well it will perform and, more importantly, how much effort will be required for support in third-party programs. If it works with everything as expected from day one then it'd be a no-brainer to get the iPad, but for the amount of money we're talking about, I'd recommend seeing how it works and if that fits your intended workflow before making the choice.
Yes, when Apple announced Catalina at the conference, that is when I began thinking about the upgrade. I am perfectly happy with the Intous Pro in the meantime. Everything I have read is all about the buzz, but no specifics. Will have to wait until closer to the release, and the big issue will be how the pen handles the brushes.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK

In that case it makes absolute sense to wait and see. I’m in no hurry, its a luxury rather than a necessity.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
For me an iPad Pro replaces a MacBook Pro in the field and even around the house. With iPadOS 13 beta the iPad is much easier to backup images in the field and copy them to/from a WD Passport Pro or a Samsung T5. Evidently it can also be the second monitor for a Mac once the Mac has Catalina and the iPad has iPadOS 13.

I suggest waiting for Catalina and iPadOS 13 in September to make decision once you have had hands on experience with your workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.