Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
is there any new news about this game being updated to work on a macbook pro?

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Why would it not work on a MBP?

Apple's drivers for the 8600m are incompatible with the Mac version of Civ IV, rendering many glitches and crashes while playing. Apple's drivers also poorly function on other games, including Call of Duty 2. Both of these games work perfectly fine under Windows, suggesting that Apple's Mac drivers are at fault.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Both those titles were ported by Aspyr. If I were you I'd get on to them. If enough people apply pressure they'll release patches.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Both those titles were ported by Aspyr. If I were you I'd get on to them. If enough people apply pressure they'll release patches.

It's hard to do patches when the drivers themselves are broken. It's really up to Apple to fix them, not Aspyr.

--Eric

method-one

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Funny...I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro (base model 15" with the 2.2) two days ago, and one of the first things I did was start a new Civ IV Warlords game. I was upgrading from a G4 Powerbook, so I was interested to see how much better the game worked on a system with decent specs.

It worked fine. No noticeable glitches or oddities, no crashes, and the game speed was nice and smooth (even in later times when it would get bogged down on my old machine).

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Funny...I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro (base model 15" with the 2.2) two days ago, and one of the first things I did was start a new Civ IV Warlords game. I was upgrading from a G4 Powerbook, so I was interested to see how much better the game worked on a system with decent specs.

It worked fine. No noticeable glitches or oddities, no crashes, and the game speed was nice and smooth (even in later times when it would get bogged down on my old machine).

the game was playable on a G4 Powerbook?:confused::eek:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Apple's drivers also poorly function on other games, including Call of Duty 2. Both of these games work perfectly fine under Windows, suggesting that Apple's Mac drivers are at fault.

I hope your referring to the 8600m drivers here as well because I'm playing Call of Duty 2 full screen at 1920x1200 res on my iMac Alum (mid 2007) and it runs awsome. Funny thing is BF2142 still runs like cr@pola but I think we have all 3 parties to blame for that (EA, Transgaming, and Apple).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Both of these games work perfectly fine under Windows, suggesting that Apple's Mac drivers are at fault.

You can't make this assumptions since the Mac version and the Windows version are not the same beast. Both were ported from Windows to the Mac. Are they OpenGL games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.