Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
It's time for me to upgrade my M1 Mac mini, which runs Civ OK on very low settings. For unrelated reasons, I need to get at least an M2 Pro. Going forward I will game in 4K.

How big is the difference in Civ between M2 Pro and M2 Max, i.e. should I go up to a Mac Studio?

I would welcome personal experience or reviews/benchmarks that are Civ-specific. I'm familiar with the theoretical differences in the chips and the generic benchmarks (e.g. Geekbench Metal).

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
There's no difference. Civ is a CPU focused game not a GPU focused one, and the CPU in the Pro and Max chips are the same. Plus, Civ 6 was a game you could already run at high settings with the vanilla M1.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
There's no difference. Civ is a CPU focused game not a GPU focused one, and the CPU in the Pro and Max chips are the same. Plus, Civ 6 was a game you could already run at high settings with the vanilla M1.
I’m running on M1 at the moment and definitely have to be on low-medium to not get choppy frame rates.

On my Windows machine (9900K+RTX2070), I can run on almost-all ultra graphics. But my GPU is highly utilized.

nohatjim

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
My problem isn’t frame rate but turn time. On my old MacBook Pro i7 I find late game turns take forever. What bench marks are you getting on AI late game

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Notebookcheck.com has a good collection of game specific benchmarks and they show an M1 Pro delivers +50% better Civ6 framerates on low/medium/high settings and +60% better framerates on the ultra preset with 4xMSAA vs a basic M1.

Sadly they are missing M1/M2 Max results for Civ6, but since Civ6 seems to hit diminishing returns faster than expected vs other games I wouldn't expect a massive improvement.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Notebookcheck.com has a good collection of game specific benchmarks and they show an M1 Pro delivers +50% better Civ6 framerates on low/medium/high settings and +60% better framerates on the ultra preset with 4xMSAA vs a basic M1.

Sadly they are missing M1/M2 Max results for Civ6, but since Civ6 seems to hit diminishing returns faster than expected vs other games I wouldn't expect a massive improvement.
Thanks! Yeah, that's my problem. I have to get an M2 Pro minimum anyway (HDMI). I'm trying to figure out how much more a M2 Max would bring to the table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.