Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikeapples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have a 2008 MacBook (which I bought in may), with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, Mac OS X Version 10.5.5, Graphic's card GMA X3100 144 MB, display settings can go from 640 X 480 to 1280 x 800. Colors in Millions

Now, I have Civilization 3 with the 1.21g update and I have tried changing my display resolutions to lowest. Even though, I meet system requirements. and have already chosen from all of options given when I hold down the apple key, but I still get this message...

"Drawsprocket cannot switch to the requested relolution (1162 X 786, 16 bit, 1 buffer)s))"

The number varies, of course, as I have tried every single option available (when holding the apple key down) with every resolution available for my display.

Can anyone tell me what to do? This is frustrating, for I have a new game that i haven't been able to play for a week.

Reactions: 0098386

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
You may want to ask the mods to move this to the appropriate forum, this one is for console games :)

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't have a solution, but the same problem. I also have it with Sims 1 on the same hardware.

These older games can only run in Thousands of colors (16-bit.) The Apple drivers for our X3100 graphics chip only support Millions of colors (24-bit.) The only solution I can see if getting a 13" MacBook Pro. The 9400M chip supports 16-bit color. This is definitely an implementation issue. The X3100 supports 16-bit color in Windows according to Intel's web site.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I'm reviving a very old thread . . .

I can run Civ III DYP ( Double Your Pleasure ) on my 5,1 cMP under Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in 'some' resolutions but ONLY if I have my trusty flashed XFX HD 5770 and ( I think ) my Sapphire HD 5870.

If in Snow Leopard, I change over to my HIS HD 7950 CIV III DYP comes up with . ..
"Drawsprocket cannot switch to the requested relolution (any resolution ), 16 bit, 1 buffer)s)"

I was surprised how many people have complained of this after Googling

None of the Civ III DPY resolutions work with the HD 7950 in Snow Leopard so I suspected that it is indeed the fault of the HIS HD 7950 .

However in both VMware and Paraells 7 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Leopard 10.5.8 emulated in Mavericks 10.9.5 with the HD 5770 installed .. the above error pops up again for all CIV III DYP resolutions.

This points to a DrawSprocket.framework difference between the Snow Leopard and Mavericks versions. In Snow leopard ( working with HD 5770 ) DrawSprocket.framework is 114kb. In Mavericks it is 56Kb.

How does one install a framework ? Are there any apps for this ? So far I haven't come across any. I'm not a programmer at all.

I'd like to clone my current Mavericks to another HD with the Snow Leopard DrawSprocket.framework installed . . my aim is to be able to run Civ II DYP under a VMware Snow Leopard virtual machine in Mavericks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

If I'm on the right track then it might be possible to run many old games again under virtual Leopard or Snow Leopard.

That would be nostalgic for some of us older guys.

All advice, assistance gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.