Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Reddit user avonhungen says that it is here on a Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Civilization VI​
and this Windows-centric Launcher bypass page shows how to ask Steam where the executable is instead:

Bypassing the Steam launcher allows running Civ VI directly. That, plus galad's v-sync comment, seem like a good path forward which I'll try shortly.
Your link is about bypassing the 2k Launcher, not Steam.

e645824

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2022
I have a scroll-wheel mouse for my Mac. So I right-clicked on Civ 6 (1.3.13) in the Steam Library window (over on the left) then Properties. I disabled the two check boxes in the General tab. I put this into the Launch Options text field (with myusername set obviously):

/Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Civ6.app/Contents/MacOS/Civ6_Metal_Exe​

then I started Civ 6 using that Steam method (right-click, Play). I went to the Graphics Options, turned on the v-sync check box and set the frame limit to 30. Then restarted Civ 6 using the same right-click, Play method.

This seems to have helped quite a bit. The GPU is down considerably, and the CPU is similarly down. See the attached screenshot. This is Turn 1 after founding a city in the default location. The smoke and fire are still fluid, the palm trees are still swaying, and the water near the rock looks fine. Other than v-sync, the remaining settings are as per the two Ultra sliders.

However, it is clear that the developers could still do quite a bit of optimization. On this Turn 1, my GPU/CPU utilization is the same whether I am zoomed all the way in or all the way out. So they don't seem to be optimizing based on scale and it explains why Civ 6 uses more GPU/CPU later in the game even when nothing is happening. In a big map, we can't see sub-pixel swaying palm trees so there's no reason to sway them...

Thanks to all.

Scott

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 7.03.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 7.03.33 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 264
Last edited:

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Civ 6 already uses Metal by default, no need to add all those additional options.

e645824

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2022
Civ 6 already uses Metal by default, no need to add all those additional options.

I don't have any additional options, all of that text is a single line / single command that goes into the text box. The previous step-by-step said that it was necessary to bypass the 2K launcher. I am indeed running the Metal executable (there are two executables in that directory, Metal and non-Metal).

Thanks,

Scott

SaMMyS

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
I feel 30 fps games are too laggy. My eyes feel terrible after staring at screen with 30s fps for a long time, even with strategy games like Civilisation VI.
I love Civilisation Vi so much, and I hope Aspry can update the game to Apple Silicon native so it will run smoother.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I feel 30 fps games are too laggy. My eyes feel terrible after staring at screen with 30s fps for a long time, even with strategy games like Civilisation VI.
I love Civilisation Vi so much, and I hope Aspry can update the game to Apple Silicon native so it will run smoother.
Then you shouldn't do what I have done - Play it on my 2016 M3 Macbook.. We're talking 1/4 FPS at times.. :D

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

Even the Intel and Metal version of the game runs massively worse in macOS (Monterey 12.6.2) compared to Windows 10 with DirectX 12 on the same hardware. I ran the graphics benchmark built-in to the game with the same graphics settings in both operating systems and there at the first scene (which is the most heavy in the test) the Windows version gets 58(!) more frames per second compared to macOS. :(

Hardware is a 6-core Mac Pro from 2010 with 32 GB RAM and AMD RX 5700 XT graphics.

Windows 10 with DirectX 12:
Civ 6 - Windows 10 - DirectX 12.jpg

macOS Monterey 12.6.2 with Metal:
Civ 6 - macOS 12.6.2 - Metal.jpg

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Even the Intel and Metal version of the game runs massively worse in macOS (Monterey 12.6.2) compared to Windows 10 with DirectX 12 on the same hardware. I ran the graphics benchmark built-in to the game with the same graphics settings in both operating systems and there at the first scene (which is the most heavy in the test) the Windows version gets 58(!) more frames per second compared to macOS. :(

Hardware is a 6-core Mac Pro from 2010 with 32 GB RAM and AMD RX 5700 XT graphics.
How about with OpenGL? Can you run it that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.