Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I was wondering if people are playing Civ IV on a similar machine to mine and how it's working. I have a Macbook Core 2 Duo 2ghz processor and 1 GB of ram.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Eek. Demanding on the video hardware that one. Not sure whether the MacBook's integrated graphics could do it justice, but even if they can I'm betting you'll need 2GB RAM since the video memory is shared with the CPU.

thangvan

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I got MB 2ghz C2D, 2Gb Ram and CiV4 runs ok on my Mac, a bit slow sometimes. Try Bootcamp because Graphic card will be 224 mb there

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Most feedback I've seen is as as thangvan says.

I got MB 2ghz C2D, 2Gb Ram and CiV4 runs ok on my Mac, a bit slow sometimes. Try Bootcamp because Graphic card will be 224 mb there
Although OS X can allocate more memory to the GMA950, depending on theapp:

The GMA 950 allocates a base amount of 80 MB for video and boot processes at startup. In a computer configured with 512 MB of SDRAM, this leaves 432 MB of SDRAM available to Mac OS X in a standard system (configured with 512 MB SDRAM).

Mac OS X may make additional main memory available to the graphics processor for texture use beyond the base 80 MB amount mentioned above, depending on the application being used. The most common types of applications that request more system memory to be used as graphics memory are 3D and graphics-intense applications.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
I have 2GB of RAM as well on my MacBook, and the OSX native Civ IV runs fine, but really has trouble if I'm trying to multitask at all (like if I have many programs open in the background). I haven't tried Bootcamp yet, as I'm trying to keep my hard drive Mac OS-only, for the short-term. I would, however, suggest it (as I've mentioned on some other threads), both for speed and for mod compatibility.

Even with the speed, I have an unhealthy addiction to that game. Even though I know I'm not necessarily "gaining anything" from playing that game (no storyline, etc.), I still come back to it. In my humble opinion, it's the very best implementation of Civ yet--a nigh-perfect balance of "realism" (well, more believability) and game mechanics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.