Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
Does anyone know of a GUI for ClamAV?

It is a great open source antivirus program that compiles and runs on OS X. I've been running it on Panther for a few days now. It would be excellent if someone with the know-how would make a simple GUI that makes installation and use a snap for people who don't know how or don't like using the command line.

Thanks.

hype.it

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
Hong Kong, China
Question:

Why would one need an Mac antivirus application running? As to date there is no actual worm(s) or virus making it's round on the internet?

Anyway, virus applications are completely useless unless they have patterns to go with them and with out a Mac virus, it's impossible to create a pattern... what you gonna do? dream of a virus, create a fantasy pattern in the hope that someone will create a virus that will match your dream?

OK, there have been this alert back in April, but Apple have since released a security patch to prevent it from ever happening. If you keep your system up to date, updated with Apple's latest patches, there's is absolutely no concern to be alarmed.

Make backup of your data, the chances of mistakenly deleting your own data are much higher than been struck by a Worm or Virus destined to cause chaos in the Mac community.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
hype.it said:
Question:

Why would one need an Mac antivirus application running? As to date there is no actual worm(s) or virus making it's round on the internet?

Anyway, virus applications are completely useless unless they have patterns to go with them and with out a Mac virus, it's impossible to create a pattern... what you gonna do? dream of a virus, create a fantasy pattern in the hope that someone will create a virus that will match your dream?

OK, there have been this alert back in April, but Apple have since released a security patch to prevent it from ever happening. If you keep your system up to date, updated with Apple's latest patches, there's is absolutely no concern to be alarmed.

Make backup of your data, the chances of mistakenly deleting your own data are much higher than been struck by a Worm or Virus destined to cause chaos in the Mac community.

I think anyone who uses an Xserve to serve their company's email would want to scan incoming messages for viruses of any type so that the Windows PCs/Linux PCs/Macs on their network don't receive those viruses. Even if a PC virus or worm resides on one of my 85 Macs and is harmless, it could easily be passed on to a PC that I am trying to protect as well.

So, I would want to screen for patterns of Windows viruses, basically, but with a Mac. Also, ClamAV is really good at updating their definitions to include the newest threats (usually within an hour of discovery), so in the unlikely event that a Mac virus or worm starts making its way around the internet, they would update their definitions with that pattern within a few hours. But maybe I can get the guys who develop ClamAV to implement some of those fantasy patterns as well. Can't be too careful.

I backup my entire network to 500GB S-AIT tapes every night, so no worries there...

ClamAV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.