Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenamested

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I was running dosdude's Mojave on it before OCLP & clamshell mode worked fine. But now, with OpenCore Legacy Patcher, it doesn't work any longer. When I close the laptop (15 inch Macbook Pro 2010 6,2) it stays active.

Is there a setting I'm missing? I've been thinking Big Sur might be a better bet on this laptop given its age.

Aside from that, it works fine. There are no other issues.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just to verify what you are saying: When you close the lid, your MBPro does not sleep, and the display stays lit?
You could check the magnetic "lid-closed" sensor: You should see your MBPro go to sleep (screen shuts off) when you move a magnet along the edge of the laptop keyboard. Magnet can be a decorator magnet from your refrigerator. That will be strong enough to trigger the sensor. I can't tell you exactly where the sensor is located, but it is usually along the left edge of the lower case. There is a magnet inside the top case, and you would be able to feel the "pull" of the magnet, by moving your own magnet along the display edge. It's there somewhere. That, in turn, will give you a pretty close idea where the actual sensor is located in the lower case. Place your magnet in that area, moving it around a little, and you should see the screen go black when you move over the right spot. If you can successfully "sleep" your MBPro with that magnet, but simply closing the lid does NOT turn the display off, then I suspect that the magnet has moved out of position in the lid

thenamested

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
Just to verify what you are saying: When you close the lid, your MBPro does not sleep, and the display stays lit?
You could check the magnetic "lid-closed" sensor: You should see your MBPro go to sleep (screen shuts off) when you move a magnet along the edge of the laptop keyboard. Magnet can be a decorator magnet from your refrigerator. That will be strong enough to trigger the sensor. I can't tell you exactly where the sensor is located, but it is usually along the left edge of the lower case. There is a magnet inside the top case, and you would be able to feel the "pull" of the magnet, by moving your own magnet along the display edge. It's there somewhere. That, in turn, will give you a pretty close idea where the actual sensor is located in the lower case. Place your magnet in that area, moving it around a little, and you should see the screen go black when you move over the right spot. If you can successfully "sleep" your MBPro with that magnet, but simply closing the lid does NOT turn the display off, then I suspect that the magnet has moved out of position in the lid
Thanks. I'll try that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.