Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giveaholla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Long time lurker and finally been stumped with an issue I cannot fix alone and would love to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I've got a late 2009 MacBook Pro 13" running 10.7.5 Lion. This is the second time within 2 years that my battery started swelling so I had to change it out (for the second time) with a 3rd party battery. First time worked like a charm. This time around when I changed the battery, my Mac now cannot sleep which is affecting my clamshell mode. I've tried the following:

- Reset NVRAM
- Removed battery to reset SMC
- Used the command line pmset -g assertions to determine one of my old printers was preventing my Mac from entering sleep
- Verified all sharing settings were off

So I believe I've exhausted all my options and my biggest fear is that something internally has been damaged which is preventing my Mac from entering sleep state.

Ultimately I would like to be able to run clamshell mode as my MBP is now my primary desktop. I managed to get the Mac's display to "sleep" by turning down the brightness down to 0 but it still treats the Mac's display as a secondary monitor. For instance when I move my mouse too far to the right, my mouse is on the Mac's display. In theory, I've found a temporary pseudo-clamshell mode but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations to fix this problem. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.