Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
It's a poor nomenclature. People should know better, I know, but it causes so much confusion that I wish we would just go to the trouble to type "3rd generation" or at least "gen 3".

My 2 pennies. :)

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
Yea, I posted about my 1G iPod on slashdot, and some guy thought I was talking about a 1Gb iPod and tried to tell me that I was lying. Had to explain the concept to him and he grudgingly accepted that he had read it wrong, and that I had not mistyped it.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Just another question then. What constitutes a 3G iPod? Is it one with a dock and the new button layout? There have been a total of 4 revisions to the iPod but I thought there were only two designs - pre-dock and dockable iPods.? :confused:

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
The first generation iPods had moving parts in the scroll wheel (non touch sensitive). The second generation upped the HD sizes and replaced the wheel with a touch sensitive one. The third generation gave us new buttons and the dock connector, as well as new HDs. The fourth updates are third generation iPods in larger HD sizes. HD size bumps do not constitute a new generation in the eyes of most Mac users, nor Apple, nor I.

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
high speed cell phone tech

I thought it meant the next iPod will have this new cell phone tech, high speed internet thingy.

That would be cool! Listening to your music over the net (your computer at home up loading it to you). I guess hard disk size doesn't matter anymore. Size doesn't matter:D

-chomo

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
G4 iPods

What's your dreamlist for the new iPods?

Mine is 'better screen'. My fiancee's son got the new blue screen (10GB iPod) and its far better than my 20GB grey screen but a color screen would be awesome (if it didn't zap the crap out of battery).

I'd love input capabilities. I'd love to add address and calendar information while out of the house/office/etc. It just would really simplify my life greatly.

More space. 80GB hard drives have been out...we should have something larger than 40GB iPods by now...at least a 60GB. My music collection is over 73GBs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.