Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Read full article here.

TLDR; The more important change for longtime individual FileMaker users is that there will be a freemium version of Claris Pro with free access to Claris Studio (and presumably Claris Go). Its only restriction is that databases created with the freemium version are restricted to a single user—but there are no size or time constraints.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Read full article here.

TLDR; The more important change for longtime individual FileMaker users is that there will be a freemium version of Claris Pro with free access to Claris Studio (and presumably Claris Go). Its only restriction is that databases created with the freemium version are restricted to a single user—but there are no size or time constraints.
That's good news. 👍 Not as good as resurrecting a flat-file database option like Bento, but I'll take it.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The more important change for longtime individual FileMaker users is that there will be a freemium version of Claris Pro with free access to Claris Studio (and presumably Claris Go). Its only restriction is that databases created with the freemium version are restricted to a single user—but there are no size or time constraints.
Has this happened? Will it happen?

drbill

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2020
OK, it's getting to late February and nothing yet. Does anyone have any info?

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
OK, it's getting to late February and nothing yet. Does anyone have any info?
From what I've read they should announce the new pricing model at the end of March. Supposedly that was mentioned somewhere in this Youtube video from Claris but I haven't watched it yet.

Edit: Link to sign up to be notified when it's available.

Last edited:

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
For us single-user scenarios, there is ninox. The cloud-based solution is $12/month at the starter level. However, the product is also available at no cost for macOS, iPhones, and iPads. This free solution is single-user but can be run in iCloud with access from any/all supported devices. There is a plethora of excellent YouTube videos and I’ve found the product quite easy yet sophisticated to use. Unless you need multiple users and/or a cloud-based solution, the product is excellent.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
For us single-user scenarios, there is ninox. The cloud-based solution is $12/month at the starter level. However, the product is also available at no cost for macOS, iPhones, and iPads. This free solution is single-user but can be run in iCloud with access from any/all supported devices. There is a plethora of excellent YouTube videos and I’ve found the product quite easy yet sophisticated to use. Unless you need multiple users and/or a cloud-based solution, the product is excellent.
All I'm seeing is free for 30 days.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Interesting - somehow I missed this thread. I've developed complex Filemaker databases since about 1992. Before retiring, I managed payroll, scheduling, contracting and purchase orders for my department with Filemaker databases I created. I still use it frequently for complex processing of geodata (for making maps) and managing my personal finances.

But I'm still on version 11! This old 32-bit version no longer runs on newer versions of MacOS, of course.. Was planning to upgrade, but my old license allowed me to install one version on the Mac and another on Windows. Filemaker 11 still runs like a champ in a parallels Windows 10 VM (also in a MacOS Sierra VM) so I'm just using these .

Will be interesting to see what happens with this "freemium" version and exactly what the restrictions are. I have no need to share the actual Filemaker databases with anybody, just the data that I export. I may end up buying the standalone version of FileMaker Pro 19 however, not so sure that their cloud-based solution would be a good fit for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Nice, i used to develop on Filemaker pro as a hobby but it got too expensive and a PITA to upgrade the runtimes, i just gave up on it. But I loved working with it to solve the stupidest problems and programmable layouts, i hope this will be enough to get me started again.

First thing I'm going to do is make a dice roller for the BG Dungeons Acadamy. :)

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Forget just FileMaker. Claris really needs to bring back MacDraw. I still use MacDraw II for developing geometry, physics, and trigonometry exercises for my students. I have to go through a few loops to get them from an older Mac to a current one, but it's worth it for drawings that can be made quickly and without the purchase of a complex draw program whose features I won't be needing for 99% of the work.

Yes, I've tried using the drawing tools on PowerPoint and Keynote. They're fine for presentations, but don't have quite the flexibility I'd like for simple drawings.

I'd also be curious to see if Claris could develop Bento again as a cloud product. I quite liked it when it was out, as I don't need a lot of the features FileMaker Pro offers. Currently still on FileMaker Pro 18, which I'll probably keep using for a while since I see no compelling reason to upgrade at the moment.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Meanwhile, another year has passed and I'm still happily chugging away with FileMaker Pro 11 in a Windows 10 VM and creating some very complex databases. :)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Would love to have FileMaker Lite but gave up. Using ninox on my iMac now, free for macOS/iPadOS/iOS, and licensed if multi-user using cloud.

I tried to give up, and tried TapForms, which is ok, but my heart hasn't been in it.

I do have some DBs up and running with it, and good enough to have something functional, but it would be much easier if Claris just got their act together.

The years I spent with FMP at work, and at home, and the DBs I made and repeatedly polished for myself…to be able to step right back into that (and also shake off some rust) is still a goal worth harboring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.