Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I was able to get my classic Mac Pro to drive the LG Ultrafine 5K at full 5K resolution retina mode enabled.

I used an Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card inside my Mac Pro. 2 DP cables go from my Nvidia GTX 1080Ti to the Alpine Ridge then the Thunderbolt 3 cable goes from the Alpine Ridge to the Ultrafine 5K.

In Windows under Bootcamp everything worked fine immediately at full 5K resolution.

Under MacOS (10.13.6) though I would get a black screen. Using the tutorial and kext files here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5k-full-5k-60hz-success.240730/#post-1654966 I was able to get it to work under MacOS and it works under 5k resolution. It worked in retina mode at once. No need to use SwitchResX at all. It does take 2 Display Ports cables to achieve 5K resolution. (Of course speakers, usb and webcam do not work since my MacPro does not really support Thunderbolt but image still works!)

I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro. A 27" LED Cinema Display the LG Ultrafine 5K. They use all 3 Display Ports on my GTX 1080Ti (2 display ports for the Alpine Ridge/LG 5K and 1 display port for LED Cinema Display. I have attached some pictures :)

THANKS A LOT!! To @Aerror from TonyMacX86 forums for the kext patch and tutorial and the @ITSAGE for sharing so much knowledge!

Attachments

• IMG_4554.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,523
  • IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 893
  • IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 883
  • IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 835
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 895
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_4567.JPG
    IMG_4567.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Wow~ nice! You are the very 1st one on the world that I know successfully power a 5k Thunderbolt Display on a cMP.

Will put this thread into the sticky upgrade thread now.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieK420

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Someone did it a in 2017 here with an adapter that supports DisplayPort Alt-Mode or the GC ALPINE RIDGE.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t scan through that remaining ~20 pages yet. But on that particular page, it’s a Dell 5k monitor.

I consider that’s a bit different. We know that the Dell 5K monitor can work with cMP few years back. In that page, “can drive the LG 5K UltraFine Thunderbolt Display” is still just a theory.

And now, this is a proved can really work.

Only “can drive 5k Display” can be very different than “can drive 5k Thunderbolt Display”.

E.g. all cMP can drive the 27” 1440P ACD. But no one ever success to drive the 27” 1440P Thunderbolt Display by a cMP.

So, it’s good to I know that we can now really use that Apple blessed LG 5K UltraFine Display.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
In Windows under Bootcamp everything worked fine immediately at full 5K resolution.

Under MacOS (10.13.6) though I would get a black screen. Using the tutorial and kext files here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5k-full-5k-60hz-success.240730/#post-1654966 I was able to get it to work under MacOS and it works under 5k resolution. It worked in retina mode at once. No need to use SwitchResX at all. It does take 2 Display Ports cables to achieve 5K resolution. (Of course speakers, usb and webcam do not work since my MacPro does not really support Thunderbolt but image still works!)

Is this a cold macOS boot or a warm boot from Windows?

EddieK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Is this a cold macOS boot or a warm boot from Windows?

In MacOS after installing Aerror Nvidia 5K kexts and using his boot arguments I can boot from a restart or a shutdown or sleep with both the 27 Led Cinema Display and the LG 5K plugged in. No problem everything works.

In Windows 10 bootcamp I have to boot with only the Led cinema display connected. Otherwise both screens go black after the windows loading screen. Only after Windows 10 is loaded I can plug in the thunderbolt cable on the back of the LG5k and everything works fine in windows too.

I heard there is this little program to control the brightness I'm gonna check that out later too.

Last edited:

EddieK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I got a reply from joevt on the tonyx86mac forums. He says that with another card (TITAN RIDGE) you can also get thunderbolt working and get the usb speakers and other functionality from the LG5K that is not working right now with the Alpine Ridge. Check it out:

If you used a GC-TITAN RIDGE instead of a GC-ALPINE RIDGE then you could get PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt to work in Windows to support the USB functions of the LG UltraFine 5K display. They will continue to work after a warm boot to macOS. I think sleep/wake is still a problem though.

With the GC-TITAN RIDGE, you can enable USB functionality even from cold boot into macOS using a jumper wire, but Thunderbolt functionality still requires warm boot from Windows.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/page-3#post-26680055

Reactions: ActionableMango

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
All sounds very promising.

Are total cold boots out of the question?

Dare I mention data transfer?

k-yo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
I got a reply from joevt on the tonyx86mac forums. He says that with another card (TITAN RIDGE) you can also get thunderbolt working and get the usb speakers and other functionality from the LG5K that is not working right now with the Alpine Ridge. Check it out:

If you used a GC-TITAN RIDGE instead of a GC-ALPINE RIDGE then you could get PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt to work in Windows to support the USB functions of the LG UltraFine 5K display. They will continue to work after a warm boot to macOS. I think sleep/wake is still a problem though.

With the GC-TITAN RIDGE, you can enable USB functionality even from cold boot into macOS using a jumper wire, but Thunderbolt functionality still requires warm boot from Windows.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/page-3#post-26680055

@joevt @rawweb @EddieK420 anything specific I should consider if I'm bout to snap a 2016 Ultrafine 5K second-hand for this purpose (MPro5,1)?

I have the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and looking into the Titan Ridge. Speakers I don't care for, USB hub is not a must and the brightness thing hopefully could be solved in some way, so I would probably skip booting to Windows most of the time. What about sleep? Will I need to power cycle the display after wake? Eddie here said no issues with the Alpine in this regard. Any advice greatly appreciated.

k-yo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
@joevt @rawweb @EddieK420 anything specific I should consider if I'm bout to snap a 2016 Ultrafine 5K second-hand for this purpose (MPro5,1)?

I have the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and looking into the Titan Ridge. Speakers I don't care for, USB hub is not a must and the brightness thing hopefully could be solved in some way, so I would probably skip booting to Windows most of the time. What about sleep? Will I need to power cycle the display after wake? Eddie here said no issues with the Alpine in this regard. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Got to try the Titan Ridge and it works with the UltraFine 5K (2016) in full resolution (HiDpi ”looks like 2560x1440” retina mode). Don’t even have Windows installed. So after cold boot or sleep, the display just needs the power cycling to trigger a signal detect (a wireless outlet is handy for this). Downloaded an app to control display brightess through the DP and that works, too. Running latest version of Mojave.

Just for this, the Alpine ridge would naturally do as well.

Really like the UltraFine 5K. Tried an Acer PE320QC 32” 4K and it was not bad at all, but the native resolution does make menus etc. really small. It would be fine for just working with photos or video perhaps (especially using more key commands than mouse), but for general use and text readability I’d say it’s a bit too small. Scaled resolutions (like 3K in a 32”) have their problems and involve downsampling an upscaled bitmap in the background - although Apple itself now defaults MBPs to a scaled resolution setting.

For a 27”, the ”looks like 2560x1440” is a good fit and macOS e.g. handles zoom levels in Photos correctly with this setting.

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
I set up my cMP with the 21.5" Ultrafine 4K with this Displayport & USB -> USB-C from a Huawei VR Headset Cable.

I love it! the 5K is too large for me.

aclarubicin

macrumors member
May 27, 2018
Got to try the Titan Ridge and it works with the UltraFine 5K (2016) in full resolution (HiDpi ”looks like 2560x1440” retina mode). Don’t even have Windows installed. So after cold boot or sleep, the display just needs the power cycling to trigger a signal detect (a wireless outlet is handy for this). Downloaded an app to control display brightess through the DP and that works, too. Running latest version of Mojave.

Really like the UltraFine 5K. Tried an Acer PE320QC 32” 4K and it was not bad at all, but the native resolution does make menus etc. really small. It would be fine for just working with photos or video perhaps (especially using more key commands than mouse), but for general use and text readability I’d say it’s a bit too small. Scaled resolutions (like 3K in a 32”) have their problems and involve downsampling an upscaled bitmap in the background - although Apple itself now defaults MBPs to a scaled resolution setting.

For a 27”, the ”looks like 2560x1440” is a good fit and macOS e.g. handles zoom levels in Photos correctly with this setting.
What's the brightness app you're using?

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022

Hi there. I am looking at a similar set up. I have realized that my eyes need 1440p on 27” but native 1440p doesn’t have a high enough pixel density.

If I understood correctly, your set up requires two PCIe slots (One for the card and one for the Ridge)?

I am not computer savvy beyond the production softwares I use. Of course I can learn as I go. Do you imagine your set up is complicated? I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with an MSI Radeon 580.

Thanks.

Andrew

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The Ridge is only necessary for Thunderbolt 3 (DP Alt Mode) driven displays - like most recent ones, including the Ultrafine 5K.
But in general, the RX 580 is capable of directly driving a 5K display via two DisplayPort 1.2 connections (personally tested) and probably via one DisplayPort 1.4 connection.
It depends on the display you choose, but just a reminder that the RX is sufficient by itself.

Last edited:

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
The Ridge is only necessary for USB-C (DP Alt Mode) driven displays.
The RX 580 is capable of driving a 5K display via two DisplayPort 1.2 connections (personally tested) and probably via one DisplayPort 1.4 connection.
It depends on the display you choose, but in general the RX is sufficient by itself.
The monitor I am looking at is the Apple Studio Display. But I hadn't really considered other possibilities. I shall look into it.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The monitor I am looking at is the Apple Studio Display. But I hadn't really considered other possibilities. I shall look into it.
If you're already considering the ASD, then definitely go the Alpine / Titan Ridge route.
Wondering if everything still works with Monterey...
Another question, is it possible to use the DP 1.4 output directly to USB-C (DP-Alt)?

edit: For video only, shouldn't this (bi-directional) cable be able to drive any USB-C display (including the Ultrafine at 5K) from DisplayPort without an additional Ridge?

Last edited:

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
If you're already considering the ASD, then definitely go the Alpine / Titan Ridge route.
Wondering if everything still works with Monterey...
Another question, is it possible to use the DP 1.4 output directly to USB-C (DP-Alt)?
I tried the DP 1.4 to a USB-C (DP-Alt) on a Dell (I believe it was). Didn't work. For that monitor, I had to use the HDMI 2.0

By the way, I've started a thread here about my inquiry/situation.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The RX580 support HBR3 but doesn't support DSC.

For 5K60, Apple Studio Display requires HBR2 with DSC over Thunderbolt or USB-C, or dual HBR2 over Thunderbolt.
The Apple Studio Display doesn't support HBR3.
You can probably get 5K with a lower resolution (46Hz?) with a single HBR2 without DSC connection over Thunderbolt or USB-C.

For 5K60 the LG UltraFine 5K requires dual HBR2 over Thunderbolt.
You can probably get 5K with a lower resolution (39Hz?) with a single HBR2 without DSC connection over Thunderbolt or USB-C.
The first model 27MD5KA-B of LG UltraFine 5K doesn't support USB-C, only the second model 27MD5KL-B does.

edit: For video only, shouldn't this (bi-directional) cable be able to drive any USB-C display (including the Ultrafine at 5K) from DisplayPort without an additional Ridge?
If it's bidirectional, then it should work, but it doesn't include a USB connection to support the USB features of the display (audio, camera, brightness control, USB ports). The USB connection might be necessary to enable the display? Anyway, a solution that include a USB connection is preferable, such as the Belkin Charge and Sync Cable or Wacom Link Plus. If you can make a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card work properly (with PCIe tunnelling) then that would be even better - so that USB 3.x can be supported instead of just USB 2.0.

Reactions: arw and Amethyst1

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
The RX580 support HBR3 but doesn't support DSC.

For 5K60, Apple Studio Display requires HBR2 with DSC over Thunderbolt or USB-C, or dual HBR2 over Thunderbolt.
The Apple Studio Display doesn't support HBR3.
You can probably get 5K with a lower resolution (46Hz?) with a single HBR2 without DSC connection over Thunderbolt or USB-C.

For 5K60 the LG UltraFine 5K requires dual HBR2 over Thunderbolt.
You can probably get 5K with a lower resolution (39Hz?) with a single HBR2 without DSC connection over Thunderbolt or USB-C.
The first model 27MD5KA-B of LG UltraFine 5K doesn't support USB-C, only the second model 27MD5KL-B does.

If it's bidirectional, then it should work, but it doesn't include a USB connection to support the USB features of the display (audio, camera, brightness control, USB ports). The USB connection might be necessary to enable the display? Anyway, a solution that include a USB connection is preferable, such as the Belkin Charge and Sync Cable or Wacom Link Plus. If you can make a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card work properly (with PCIe tunnelling) then that would be even better - so that USB 3.x can be supported instead of just USB 2.0.
Thank you. I don’t wish to have lower than 60Hz. Honestly, I am SO out of my league in this process. I’m wondering if it’s worth it.

Would this work without OpenCore (or is it simply implied that it can only work with OpenCore). It’s been flashed for 5,1…

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you. I don’t wish to have lower than 60Hz. Honestly, I am SO out of my league in this process. I’m wondering if it’s worth it.

Would this work without OpenCore (or is it simply implied that it can only work with OpenCore). It’s been flashed for 5,1…

Thunderbolt to work with a MacPro5,1 and macOS requires OpenCore.

Reactions: Andrew Montreal

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
But in general, the RX 580 is capable of directly driving a 5K display [...] probably via one DisplayPort 1.4 connection.
FYI, I've confirmed that a RX 460 can run 5K60 (on an Iiyama XB2779QQS) via a single DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3) connection. So, a 580 also can.

• Love
Reactions: arw

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
FYI, I've confirmed that a RX 460 can run 5K60 (on an Iiyama XB2779QQS) via a single DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3) connection. So, a 580 also can.
Interesting. So I could pick up an LG 27” 5k and use DisplayPort and we should be laughing. And this with a 30’ optical cable?

IGNORE: for a moment I forgot that that screen is USB-C only.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Interesting. So I could pick up an LG 27” 5k and use DisplayPort and we should be laughing. And this with a 30’ optical cable?

IGNORE: for a moment I forgot that that screen is USB-C only.
USB-C is not the problem. You can connect using a bidirectional USB-C to DisplayPort cable (but that might not work - a Wacom Link Plus or Belkin Charge and Sync cable would be better since they allow using the USB features of the display such as brightness control, audio, camera, USB ports)

The problem is that LG UltraFine 5K only supports HBR2 connection (over Thunderbolt or USB-C) or dual HBR2 connection (over Thunderbolt).
With a single HBR2 connection, you can get up to 4K60 or 5K39.

Reactions: Amethyst1 and arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.