Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are some of your favourite Classical music periods

• Medieval

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Renaissance

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Baroque

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Classic Classical

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Romantic

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Modern Classical

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Contemorary Classical

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Tango

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other ?

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • All the above

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Flamenco

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • 0pera

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I thought it might be interesting to create a thread for classical music and see where it goes?
Do you want people to comment on if this thread idea is interesting or to comment on where the thread "goes"?

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Do you want people to comment on if this thread idea is interesting or to comment on where the thread "goes"?

Yes - why not? - TBH - i just thought it might be nice to share Classical Music and share comments about the classical pieces that might be posted

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Yes - why not? - TBH - i just thought it might be nice to share Classical Music and share comments about the classical pieces that might be posted
Well that's more clear. I couldn't tell if you weren't sure about your thoughts or if you weren't sure this thread would be interesting.

So here's something I've been digging recently:

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I am diggin it too - not sure if I have shuffle on or time just quickly passed by - LOL - am on "22 Varaition 11" already

Loving it - I visit SoundCamp often - but not for classical - my bad - thanks !

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
And one more. I was introduced to Ezio Bosso's music via ballet. This piece is used for a David Dawson dance, Anima Animus:
music.apple.com/us/album/bosso-violin-concerto-no-1-esoconcerto-ep/1220863835

And now that I'm thinking about it, Jerome Robbins' Glass Pieces (set to Philip Glass music) would be interesting to see alongside Anima Animus.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I have always liked classical, also very found of pipe organ music. I get both with Saint-Seans Organ Symphony.
When I was in college in Rochester NY, one day I went into the Eastman Theater (can't remember why) and a young girl from the Eastman School of Music was playing the pipe organ and I really liked the piece she was playing she said it was a French composer named Alain and the piece was "Litanies". Most organ music is heavy, but this was light and airy. I really got hooked on Mozart after watching Amadeus, one of all time favorite movies. Another great film that revolves around classical music is "The Red Violin".

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I have always liked classical, also very found of pipe organ music. I get both with Saint-Seans Organ Symphony.
When I was in college in Rochester NY, one day I went into the Eastman Theater (can't remember why) and a young girl from the Eastman School of Music was playing the pipe organ and I really liked the piece she was playing she said it was a French composer named Alain and the piece was "Litanies". Most organ music is heavy, but this was light and airy. I really got hooked on Mozart after watching Amadeus, one of all time favorite movies. Another great film that revolves around classical music is "The Red Violin".
Very true, and along these lines Stanley Kubrick used classical music so masterfully in his movies. Notably 2001, Clockwork Orange, and especially Barry Lyndon (a favorite of mine).

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
also very found of pipe organ music

I am particularly partial to theater organs. Parade of the Soldiers is awesome on this very hard to find recording:

Rob richards Christmas copy.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Brilliant idea!

I love the Romantic era for two reasons: Liszt and Beethoven. Talk about breaking the mold.

This wouldn't be a classical thread without moonlight sonata!

Can't Argue with that ? - WOW- Fantastic performance of a Classic - Amazing ?

I really like her version of Beethoven Sonata #21 Op.53 Rondo "Waldstein" among the other great performances on her site ?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Only 3 opera fans.?

I love listening to opera, no so much watching an opera. Unfortunately, I live with a bunch of philistines? and can only play it loud when I'm driving alone.

Bizet's Carmen is my all time favorite. Everyone knows the most popular piece from Carmen.:) Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen a close 2nd. Who hasn't heard The Ride of the Valkyrie (Apocalypse Now)? Come on, Hollywood, there more to Nibelungen than just the Valkyries--hours more.? Though I love Mozart's (my all time favorite composer) musical pieces, I don't find any of his operas all that appealing.?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Only 3 opera fans.?

Well to be fair - I did not add Opera or Flamenco at first - my bad ?- I added them both a few days later when I realized they should have been added so they missed a few votes. Opera should have been there from the start for sure ? - the votes can be changed - so anyone that wants to include Opera can re-vote and include opera as one of the votes - love Bizet's Carmen ?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I love Romantic era, a long time ago I even bought Beethoven's opera omnia by Deutsche Grammophone... it was quite expensive (I think $1500) but beautiful.'

I routinely, almost daily, listen to Gregorian chants. They are so majestic, yet so relaxing...

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Well to be fair - I did not add Opera or Flamenco at first - my bad ?- I added them both a few days later when I realized they should have been added so they missed a few votes. Opera should have been there from the start for sure ? - the votes can be changed - so anyone that wants to include Opera can re-vote and include opera as one of the votes - love Bizet's Carmen ?
Maybe the poll title should be changed to say style or genre or something else instead of period. Yes, the present-day opera repertory is essentially frozen in time. But there's a lot more to opera that what today's season ticket subscribers are willing to hear.

The same goes for ballet (yeah, I'm biased as shown above).

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
If Rachmaninoff is one of your favorites, you need to watch "Shine" with Jeffery Rush as he plays David Helfgott and his struggle to master Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2, one of the hardest to play, and deal with his mental issues caused by his father. Hard movie to watch in some spots.

Listen closely and you will hear the melody of "All by Myself"

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn and BamaGuy

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Great Album - Great Performer - Magic track - JS Bach

Víkingur Ólafsson – Bach: Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974 - 2. Adagio

EDIT - I thought I would add a nice guitar version of the 1) Andante e spiccato, 2) Adagio
and 3) Presto for anyone interested - See this Post

Also the 3 movements were transcribed by J.S. Bach from Alessandro Marcello's - Concerto for Oboe and Strings in D minor op.1

Last edited:
Reactions: haddy and The Clark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.