Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamilton32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I am having a lot of problems with my macbook and I am ready to just have it back to the way it was when I first bought it. Does anyone know how to wipe out the drive and start over from scratch. Create a new admin and have the orginal software installed. I dont care if I lose was it on the current drive.

I do have the two disks that came with the computer, have tried those and must be doing it wrong cause all it does is update software.

Thanks,
Steve

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Ok, drop in the MacBook restore disk 1, and then restart your computer.

After it turns off, before it can turn back on, start holding down C in order to have it boot from the drive.

Once it loads from the disk, you want to tell it to reformat and install and there you go. Once you get into OS X, you will have to re-enter your info, and then update it, re-download your software and all that.

shamilton32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Problem

When the disk comes up it says nothing about reformatting just welcome to the mac os x installer. that is the process that I have going through but like I said all it does it update software. Yes I am a newbie to mac so you may have to give me a little more detail if possible.

Thanks
Steve

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
OK, good to hear. You have to hit customize or options or something like that at some point, I forgot about that, sorry.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
To format the drive you have to boot off the CD and then launch Disk Utility from the drop down menu at the top of the screen, and use that to erase it. Just do a quick erase, as they're no reason to zero the drive in this case.

And yes, you'd lose everything on the drive doing this, so back up any personal files, etc. first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.