Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Apple says significant locations is required to be on for optimized charging to work. See the screenshot below.
Oh, that’s nice. All I care about is that my phone’s battery stops charging at approximately 80%, and it does, with or without Significant Locations.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Do You mean the U1/U2 ultrawide-band chip? I haven't had any issues locating my Airtags using the precise location tracking or with Airdrop. I haven't tried NameDrop so not sure if that works properly. If that's the case I would turn it on just so all that functionality works as intended.. Where did you find the info on what Networking and Wireless actually controls?
Did you end up enabling networking & wireless under system services or keep it disabled as you’ve have it before? The U1/U2 chip gets disabled when that toggle is turned off. Based on what I read the only thing disabling that affects is if you’re trying to locate an AirTag you won’t have the arrow point you to the direction of the AirTag to locate it. I personally don’t have AirTags but I don’t know what other adverse negative effect disabling the U1/U2 chip can have

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Did you end up enabling networking & wireless under system services or keep it disabled as you’ve have it before? The U1/U2 chip gets disabled when that toggle is turned off. Based on what I read the only thing disabling that affects is if you’re trying to locate an AirTag you won’t have the arrow point you to the direction of the AirTag to locate it. I personally don’t have AirTags but I don’t know what other adverse negative effect disabling the U1/U2 chip can have

I don’t think the “Networking and Wireless” location setting affects the ultra wide band chip. My AirTags, and Airdrop by touching devices together, both work normally for me even with the setting disabled.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The video you linked mentioned nothing about that setting controlling the U1/U2 chip. I have it disabled and the arrow still appears and directs me to the AirTag. Like I said, I notice no difference in any FindMy or AirTag location functionality with that setting disabled..

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Those articles can claim that the setting disables the ultra wide band chip, but it doesn’t. I tested on 2 different iPhones. Maybe it did in 2020 when those articles were released but has been changed since then.
Can you please share a screenshot of which system services you have enabled on your iPhone? I have been doing some testing in the last couple of days in regards to battery life and it seems (as crazy as it may sound) that overall battery life is better with all the toggles under system services turned on (with the exclusion of the ones under “Product Improvment”) as opposed to with them off. How is that possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.