Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Hi there folks, I've clean installed Big Sur for the second time today, and noticed under the Macintosh HD - Data under Disk Utility says 100GB used... is this normal? Can anyone confirm this?

1606925499182.png

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Hi there folks, I've clean installed Big Sur for the second time today, and noticed under the Macintosh HD - Data under Disk Utility says 100GB used... is this normal? Can anyone confirm this?

View attachment 1685170
What does Finder show for the size of your user data? Are you using iCloud data such as Photos, Music, Desktop and Documents?

The following terminal command will show you the size. Note: It may take a minute or so depending on the number files.
Code:
du -sg ~/
DS

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
That's not a clean install. A fresh install of Big Sur is that 16.09GB volume. You've got 100GB of other user data that you can delete (maybe?) by deleting the leftover volume.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
That's not a clean install. A fresh install of Big Sur is that 16.09GB volume. You've got 100GB of other user data that you can delete (maybe?) by deleting the leftover volume.
The 16GB is the system volume. The other is the data volume. The two make up an APFS volume group. The user data, 3rd party applications, etc. are installed in the data volume.

DS

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Clearly OP doesn't know what a clean install means... First you need to erase your drive if you want to have a "clean install".

https://support.apple.com/HT208496

If you don't intend to erase everything on your system then you aren't doing a clean install and are justing re-installing the existing OS.

Installing macOS does not erase existing user data. So likely you have about 80GB of user data.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
The 16GB is the system volume. The other is the data volume. The two make up an APFS volume group. The user data, 3rd party applications, etc. are installed in the data volume.

DS

Agreed! And you explained it much better than I did :)

Clearly OP doesn't know what a clean install means... First you need to erase your drive if you want to have a "clean install".

https://support.apple.com/HT208496

If you don't intend to erase everything on your system then you aren't doing a clean install and are justing re-installing the existing OS.

Installing macOS does not erase existing user data. So likely you have about 80GB of user data.

^^ This right here.

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
No no no, seems like you guys haven't done a clean install in a while. OP, assuming you nuked the whole drive, check your iCloud photos. Doing a fresh install and subsequent log in to iCloud automatically syncs your photo library if your settings were previously to keep all devices in sync. Can potentially be time consuming and storage intensive.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Ok wait wait, I have installed the apps back (Adobe CC) and iCloud Photos, desktop, documents etc before taking that screenshot. I'm guessing this is contributing to the 100GB. I did erase everything using disk utility on boot up recovery mode and installing BigSur from a bootable USB drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.