Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Is this still a thing? When a major update comes out, do people do clean installs?

If so, what is the aftermath afterwards? Would you have to sign in to all games and apps again, and download any history? Is the point of a clean install just to wipe the phone, and start fresh? Or is it a moot point because after the clean install, you are just going to restore from icloud again?

Sorry if the questions seem novice, but I am always just doing updates on my iPad and iPhone, and I was thinking maybe do a clean install on my 14 Pro Max, if there was any benefit.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Yes, to some extend.

The app decides if you have to sign in again. It also decides what data should be included in backup and what data should be downloaded.

The point for me is, some apps don't have good data management mechanism, which accumulates useless data in my device and/or backup, forcing me to do a clean install to regain mys precious spaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.