Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
MY CURRENT HARDWARE:
late-2013 Core i5 iMac 21.5-inch; 1 TB SSD, 8 GB RAM, currently running MacOS 10.12 Sierra

PLANNING TO CLEAN-INSTALL:
MacOS Mojave (I will only go this far, so I can still run iPhoto... Apple Photos and Google Photos both suck)

APPS I NEED TO COPY OVER TO MANUALLY INSTALL AFTER CLEAN INSTALLING MOJAVE:
Filezilla
DivX Converter
DivX Player
iPhoto 9.6.1
iWeb
iWork '09
Also newer versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote
Quicken
Stuffit Expander
VLC
Windowed.app

How do I do this? Is there anything other than the app I need to move?

TIA

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"PLANNING TO CLEAN-INSTALL:
MacOS Mojave (I will only go this far, so I can still run iPhoto"

WAIT. STOP RIGHT THERE.
There's something you need to know.

You CAN STILL RUN iPHOTO with the latest versions of the Mac OS, and this includes Monterey.

All you need is the free "Retroactive" app that patches iPhoto, iTunes, and Aperture so that they'll run on the newer OS's (that Apple claims they won't run on).

Having said that...
Here's how I'd recommend you upgrade to Mojave:
1. Get an external drive
2. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of your internal drive to the external drive. BOTH of these are FREE to download and use for 30 days, "doing things my way" will cost you nothing.
3. You will need to get a copy of the Mojave installer. If you're having trouble getting it from Apple, I recommend you use this free app:
IGNORE the part about "your Mac is already supported".
All you need this utility for, is to download Mojave.
Go to the Tools menu -- there it is.
4. You will need to make a bootable USB flash drive. It needs to be a 16gb or larger drive (I don't think 8gb will do).
5. To make the flashdrive, I recommend using either "Install disk creator" or "DiskMaker X". Again, both are free. If you have problems with one of them, TRY THE OTHER.
6. Boot from the USB flashdrive.
7. Open disk utility and BE SURE to go to the view menu and choose "show all devices".
8. In the list on the left, click on the SSD and erase it to APFS, GUID partition format.
9. Quit disk utility and open the OS installer. Start clicking through.
10. The iMac will restart one or more times, and the display will go dark for a minute or two with no other indication of activity, so be patient.
11. When done, you'll see the initial setup screen (choose your language)
12. Start clicking through. When asked if you wish to migrate from another drive, YES, you want to do this.
13. Connect the backup and let setup assistant "digest" everything. It takes a little time.
14. Setup assistant will present you with a list of things that can be migrated. I suggest you choose everything and just "let it go".
15. This will take a little time. When done, you should see your login screen. So log in and look around. All the apps "should be there".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

WAIT. STOP RIGHT THERE.

You CAN STILL RUN iPHOTO with the latest versions of the Mac OS, and this includes Monterey.
I'm guessing that some of the other apps like iWeb and DivX Player would be 32-bit, so 10.14 is likely to be the end of the line.

Reactions: Wingsley

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
APPS I NEED TO COPY OVER TO MANUALLY INSTALL AFTER CLEAN INSTALLING MOJAVE
Some apps will require a re-install. Some apps will just copy (but lose settings). For some apps you may be able to discover the settings (and other data) files and copy them. There is no universal always work way of doing it.

Reactions: Wingsley

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Your best thing is on the old machine write the keys down to buy the upgrades for the system over that years! With that older key will get money off the newer program when you upgrade that software to newer system!

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014

WAIT. STOP RIGHT THERE.

All you need is the free "Retroactive" app that patches iPhoto, iTunes, and Aperture so that they'll run on the newer OS's (that Apple claims they won't run on).

I am going to have to try this...

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014

WAIT. STOP RIGHT THERE.

Update:

Having clean-installed Mojave on my old Core i5 iMac, and having endured numerous settling-in problems while doing so, I can report that iPhoto does indeed run on the iMac/MacOS Mojave.

I also copied iPhoto onto the M1 Mac Mini running MacOS 12.3.1 Monterey. I gave iPhoto the Retroactive 1.9 treatment successfully. I tried launching iPhoto and it instantly aborts every time. I would love to see iPhoto running on Monterey/M1 hardware, but so far it looks like a no-go.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I gave iPhoto the Retroactive 1.9 treatment successfully. I tried launching iPhoto and it instantly aborts every time.
I am not surprised. When I tried Retroactive about a year ago, I also got instant aborts. And this was with an Intel Mac. I gave up fairly quickly - the whole thing seems inherently unstable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I use Retroactive on a 2021 MBP 14".

It works fine with iTunes, I believe Aperture runs as well (with limitations).

BUT... I could not get iPhoto to run on it, even after using the last version (which is 9.6.1)

But again, Retroactive works fine with iTunes (or at least with my usage of it, which involves only the free streaming internet radio channels).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.