Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giancoes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Puerto Rico
So I just got word my new iPhone is at home so when I get home from work I was thinking of setting it up as a new phone and just turning on iCloud and let it manually download everything but now I’m thinking I might put a back up on it. What’s generally the best way to go about this?

giancoes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Puerto Rico
Some people do a fresh install every time they get a new phone. I restore from a backup every time. I haven't encountered problems doing this.
I usually do a backup install as well but since iCloud now basically covers all the essential information from a backup I’m thinking this year it might be better to do clean install.

ghc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I've actually been thinking the same thing.....getting my phone today and have always done the backup/restore option...with all of the issues with 13/13.1, wondering if starting 'fresh' may help...guess it can't hurt....

Reactions: giancoes

giancoes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Puerto Rico
I've actually been thinking the same thing.....getting my phone today and have always done the backup/restore option...with all of the issues with 13/13.1, wondering if starting 'fresh' may help...guess it can't hurt....
That’s exactly my thinking 13.1 is running smooth on my X but i think clean install with iCloud is the way I’m going just to avoid any problems.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
1. I don't think it makes a difference at this point. At least it hasn't for me.
2. I understand starting new as a way to eliminate things you don't use, but I have some apps that do not back up their data anywhere, and I'd lose that data, in some cases many years of data. And there's always the offload apps function, either done by iOS or done manually by the user. FWIW, when you offload an app, it keeps the app data locally and leaves an app icon with a little download arrow so that you can easily reinstall the app if you need it - and maybe also so you don't forget that you offloaded it.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Is there any difference between restoring an iOS device with iTunes vs just installing iOS 13.1 OTA? As I was running a series of betas, I would like a fresh installation. At the same time, however, I would not like to lose hours tweaking everything back into place.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Maybe every time you upgrade to a new device (hardware upgrade). So like every 2-3 years.
Clean restore every year for an iOS update is too much of a pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: white4s

jamdex

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2012
Manchester UK
I have never done a clean install on any iPhone in the last 10 years. Even when i had a 'year off' trying Android, my old iCloud backup got used. Everything rock solid as it should be.

Edit: Do do occasional Soft Resets, seems to keep things zippy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.