Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I'm still downloading High Sierra installation .app from the App Store and intend to do a clean install of it in my MBP.

I've read somewhere that the installer will convert my SSD to APFS during installation. But, isn't there supposed to be an option in Disk Utility (of macOS Utilities) to manually format my drive partition with APFS?

Am I supposed to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility and expect the installation process to automatically do the conversion?

okieiam

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
No. You have to run Install app from terminal with some command line switch

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
No. You have to run Install app from terminal with some command line switch

are you sure? if people who aren't doing a clean install get an automatic conversion, why wouldn't he? its all done by the installer isn't it?

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
are you sure? if people who aren't doing a clean install get an automatic conversion, why wouldn't he? its all done by the installer isn't it?
I saw in a beta screenshot that there was a toggle button during the installer. However it doesn't exist now and your drive will be converted to APFS by default

Reactions: paddylaz

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Clean install here:

When you bout to your install USB use disk utility to erase the drive and formate the computer as the standard Mac OS Extended Journaled (or Journal extended...I've never actually paid attention :p ).

During the install it will convert it without notice.

Reactions: paddylaz

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Finished downloading High Sierra and, in my case, the installer (from bootable USB) Disk Utility gave me many more options in partition scheme menu (after you select the drive and click Erase).

Among the options, there are the usual exFAT, MS-DOS FAT, macOS Extended and also APFS (with case-sensitive and encrypted variants).

So Ive manually formatted my internal SSD as APFS with the Disk Utility app bundled in bootable USB installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.