Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Everything worked out great. I just finished paying off this 6S and it's still like new. New battery, new OS. I'm happy the way it is, so I won't tinker with the text messages.

Every new iPhone I get, I like to set it up as new. It may be a myth, but I have rarely had bugs this way. I also like purging all the old junk as you mentioned. I like having just the essentials on there.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Every new iPhone I get, I like to set it up as new. It may be a myth, but I have rarely had bugs this way. I also like purging all the old junk as you mentioned. I like having just the essentials on there.

So you start over with messages etc?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I do the same thing. Always setup as new. Only thing I’ve found I lose from this is my messages. Since they allowed health data to be stored in iCloud all I need now is messages then I’m good to go.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
I do the same thing. Always setup as new. Only thing I’ve found I lose from this is my messages. Since they allowed health data to be stored in iCloud all I need now is messages then I’m good to go.

There are quite a few 3dparty apps on the web that offer restoring only messages from a local backup in one way or another, so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is that you can replace Messages database, but not merge it from different backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.