Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have not used the stock 5W charger with my iPhone 7 in quite a while. It was lying unused in an old drawer in somewhat humid conditions.

Today, it wouldn't charge the phone. After some figuring out, I wiped the gold contact points on the cable end with a tissue, and then it charged fine.

Do these charging points on the end of the charging cable, and inside the phone, need regular cleaning? If yes, how are they best cleaned?

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps not regular necessarily, but occasional cleaning might be needed or at least might be good.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I’d recommend an alcohol pad as it won’t corrode components or a microfiber cloth with rubbing alcohol. I’ve had to clean my ports out on my iPhones as lint got in them. Ended up ordering a kit off Amazon that has soft cleaning heads to do it. Just be careful. Don’t saturate.

Why rubbing alcohol? It evaporates quick and is generally harmless to electronic contacts when cleaning. Just ensure it’s dry before reconnecting. Again it’s rubbing alcohol so it will dry pretty quick. Don’t use water whatsoever.

EDIT: I think Apple is against using high concentrations of isopropyl alcohol, but I’ve used it on my phone, tablet, watch, etc. again, not saturated but damp enough to clean (lightly damp)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
To add to the alcohol comment, it's suggested you use 90% or higher as that has reduced water content. Below that purity, you risk leaving contaminants on the electrical contacts.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have 60% isopropyl alcohol. Okay if I use that directly to clean the contacts on the charging cable?
Or, should I be mixing it with water first?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have 60% isopropyl alcohol. Okay if I use that directly to clean the contacts on the charging cable?
Or, should I be mixing it with water first?
If you mix it with water that would have even more water concentration, while you want less in general.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Okay. Why is that important? Even if there is some water content in the cleaning fluid, I will be wiping the contacts with a clean lint free cloth, or tissue. Won't that absorb and take care of any water on the contacts?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Okay. Why is that important? Even if there is some water content in the cleaning fluid, I will be wiping the contacts with a clean lint free cloth, or tissue. Won't that absorb and take care of any water on the contacts?
For the most part it likely won't make much of a difference as long as you don't use a lot or leave it there for a while.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Two things:

1.) I realize this isn’t exactly productive to your thread topic, if you have to go to this much trouble to actually use this charger dealing with inconsistencies, Scrap the one you have and use a different cable, it’s that easy.

2.) Don’t ever use tissue paper. Use a lint free microfiber cloth. The most important thing, is just to make sure you don’t have any moisture left behind whatsoever prior to charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.