Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
In preparation for getting a new iMac, I want to clean up my old one so that I don't transfer a lot of unnecessary, old files. Since I've had the iMac since 2009, I'm sure it will take forever if I do it manually. Has anyone ever used "CleanMyMac X" or any other similar apps?

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
The cleanest method is always a clean install... meaning that if you purchase a new computer, you manually copy the necessary files over to it.

Any application that you intend to use that doesn't come on the machine, will need to be downloaded as a new application to the new machine. Yes, that does mean you will need to enter pertinent configuration information yourself (i.e. application settings/preferences), but that isn't difficult because you can just look at what you used on your other Mac directly or go old school and write it down on paper. And contrary to belief, it doesn't take forever.

Data files such as spreadsheets et al, can be copied over via a USB drive.

Anything that makes this migration process "simple" is invariably bring with it some cobwebs from the old system. There is no sure way to eliminate those cobwebs short of doing it the manual way as I have indicated above.

CleanMyMac (or any similar app) is best left on the garbage heap where it belongs.

Think of it this way... when you bought your first computer, you added all this stuff manually because none of it existed yet. Now that you have a machine with stuff, setting up a new computer should be treated in a similar fashion if you truly want that new machine to be treated in a like manner as your first machine.

It's why a lot of people choose to do a clean install of a new OS versus upgrading the existing OS to the new one.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thank you so much. As usual, hearing from smart guys like yourself on this site, makes me feel inadequate. But that’s okay. I just appreciate your sharing your knowledge. Again, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.