Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmaceut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Hello,

I am looking to clean the keyboard and speakers to remove any smudges and dirt. However, I'm unsure how to do so without accidentally turning on the computer by opening the lid or pressing any buttons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
May not be avoidable. But cleaning the keys and getting some garbage input isn't really a huge deal if you just make sure you're on the lock screen.

That said, I now remember there might be a terminal command to switch off the way the machine powers itself on when the lid is opened and/or keys besides the power key are pressed? I could also be thinking of older iterations of MacBook here.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I have done this for years, works great - I lock the keyboard - I set up Settings/Desktop & Dock/Hot corner shortcuts so 1 of the corners is "Lock Screen". So for me, usually last thing at the end of the day, with the Trackpad I slide the cursor to that corner - screen locked. I use a spray container of water only, and a microfiber cloth, spraying the CLOTH NOT the keyboard, and rub the whole keyboard vigorously. The only side effect is sometimes whatever was playing on music comes on, I just hit F8 to turn it off when I am done. I use the Apple cleaning cloth (or a microfiber cloth would do) and the same spray water ON THE CLOTH, and wipe the display if it needs it - it usually only needs it about once a week or so. I close the lid - done! My keyboard looks great, so does the display. No side effects from cleaning as all was locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.