Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
A t-shirt (clean) with a little bit of water. Depending on what substance made it on the surface of the MBP, I use water most of the time. Hard spots on the screen - tiny bit of water and t-shirt.

For the keyboard I'll use disinfecting wipes (gently) now and then, but mostly a wet t-shirt or cotton rag.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I use the normal Lysol disinfecting wipes for the keyboard only (if I can help it) - and for the chassis if I ended up going to a job-site like a hospital.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
When I brought my MBP to the Apple store, they wiped it down completely with a disinfecting wipe. They wiped the screen, keyboard, and entire case. This is a new policy that was implemented during the store reopening.

I’ve personally only ever used a soft damp cloth as that’s all it’s ever taken to clean it.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
20200719_160027.jpg

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
When I brought my MBP to the Apple store, they wiped it down completely with a disinfecting wipe. They wiped the screen, keyboard, and entire case. This is a new policy that was implemented during the store reopening.

I’ve personally only ever used a soft damp cloth as that’s all it’s ever taken to clean it. would never or super rarely apply chemical to the screen, can take off the finish.

agreed. i go slightly damp (wet, wring out) microfiber. never or rarely apply chemicals to the screen, can take off the finish.

Broko Fankone

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
1595199005974.png

Buy a few of these. They are cheap. Soak one in water and then twist it hard until no water drops from it, so it's nice and damp. Then use it to wipe the screen softly until you remove any dust. Turn it on the other side and wipe a bit harder on spots that have more resistant fingerprints or whatever. Then use one of the dry fibre cloths and wipe softly to dry the screen. It should be like new.

For the chasis, turn the damp cloth on a new side and wipe gently across the body and keyboard. Don't do this with dirty clothes cause it will drop dust under the keys.

I do this daily, or between a few days and keep my mac pristine. I despise fingerprints on the screen and think people who keep their glossy screens full of them are messed up in the head somehow... It's gross.

Reactions: tdbrown75

arche3

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2020
View attachment 935473

Buy a few of these. They are cheap. Soak one in water and then twist it hard until no water drops from it, so it's nice and damp. Then use it to wipe the screen softly until you remove any dust. Turn it on the other side and wipe a bit harder on spots that have more resistant fingerprints or whatever. Then use one of the dry fibre cloths and wipe softly to dry the screen. It should be like new.

For the chasis, turn the damp cloth on a new side and wipe gently across the body and keyboard. Don't do this with dirty clothes cause it will drop dust under the keys.

I do this daily, or between a few days and keep my mac pristine. I despise fingerprints on the screen and think people who keep their glossy screens full of them are messed up in the head somehow... It's gross.
Agree. Greasy screens are disgusting. Like a cess pool. I don't even want to see it lol.

dancochran

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are awesome. Wet with a bit of water and clean the chassis, keyboard and screen. Finish with a microfiber cloth. Never found anything better.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I don't use anything but clean microfiber towels on any of my devices and/or screens. The microfibers I use are all washed together with nothing else, small amount of liquid detergent only, no fabric softener and an extra rinse cycle.

Keyboard and chassis: microfiber with a bit of isopropyl alcohol. Screen: purified water and microfiber as needed... but generally my screens stay spotless so rarely have to clean them... I try very hard never to actually touch them/get finger prints on them and generally just have to do a quick wipe to remove dust/particles.

• Love
Reactions: Broko Fankone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.