Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Does anyone know if there are any good and safe screen wipes out there for cleaning a MacBook Air 2022 screen? Currently I'm using a microfiber cloth from a pair of sunglasses, but it doesn't absorb water very easily when I try to get it wet. Eventually it absorbs water and I can clean my screen, but then I need another microfiber cloth to dry my screen. Then I need to put both of them aside somewhere to dry. And when they are drying, they usually collect dust or cat hair, so the next time I use them, I get dust or cat hair on my screen. This process isn't very smooth lol. Ideally I would like disposable screen wipes that are single use. Have you found any that you'd recommend using? If not, what is your screen cleaning process like? Any tips on making my screen cleaning process smoother? Thanks in advance!

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Ah, I meant does it damage the glass screen on an iPad or iPhone?

On my iPad, no. I don’t have a screen protector on my iPad and no issues. I’m assuming it’s safe for iPhone but I have screen protector on it.

Lasermoon

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
Do you find the Apple Polishing Cloth better than a typical microfiber cloth that comes with a pair of sunglasses? Do you ever need to clean the Apple Polishing Cloth? lol
I haven't used a microfibre cloth on my MBP screen, I purchased the Apple polishing cloth when I got the machine,
I have never cleaned the cloth since November 2021

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Whoosh screen shine. Approved/used by Apple retail. Works perfectly in my experience.
Does the Apple site say Whoosh is approved and/or used by Apple retail? Do you use the orange cloth that comes with Whoosh or the Apple Polishing Cloth? I'm looking at Whoosh on Amazon here:

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I just reached out to Apple Support on chat and they sent me this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172 which states:

Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe, 75 percent ethyl alcohol wipe, or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces.

Does anyone here do this? Any issues?

Reactions: addamas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I’ve always kept Macbook screens clean with just a very** light spray of water onto a microfiber cloth. I guess alcohol sprays work for many people here, personally I don’t see the need to introduce such extra chemicals.

Too bad Apple stopped providing those cloths many years back, they were a nice touch, especially when spending crazy amounts of $$ for a fancy machine.

Last edited:

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
Does the Apple site say Whoosh is approved and/or used by Apple retail? Do you use the orange cloth that comes with Whoosh or the Apple Polishing Cloth? I'm looking at Whoosh on Amazon here:

1. I don't think it does, I don't know if it ever did. But the liquid was brought up by several people visiting the stores.
2. Yes, I'm using their orange cloth and their liquid, bought together. It works perfectly for me. I bought it after seeing a youtube tutorial on cleaning your Macbook screen (by 9to5Mac - I believe they use a different cloth in the video).

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
Friendly suggestion: Using a screen protector means not having to sweat the details of cleaning products.

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Friendly suggestion: Using a screen protector means not having to sweat the details of cleaning products.
Friendly question: what screen protector exactly do you recommend for the OP's Macbook Air...

Lens cleaner (for camera lenses) is another good solution not yet recommended.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
what screen protector exactly do you recommend for the OP's Macbook Air...
It's a good question. I've got no answer. I tried-out the new MBA for a week. During this time I looked online for screen protectors. Nothing really stands out. For MBP I like Spigen (no bubbles) and for old models Moshi iVisor.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
It's a good question. I've got no answer. I tried-out the new MBA for a week. During this time I looked online for screen protectors. Nothing really stands out. For MBP I like Spigen (no bubbles) and for old models Moshi iVisor.
But even if you have a screen protector, you'd likely need to clean it at some point lol.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The problem with a screen protector is the adhesive. On iPhones the anti-reflective coating is underneath the glass whereas on the MBA and MBP's it is on the outside. So if you use a screen protector on the phone there is no way the protector would ever hurt the coating while on the laptops the adhesive could actually damage the coating.

I have no idea what type of AR coating Apple uses but in the past people have worn them off by using various harsh cleaners. I would assume it is not a military hardened AR coating like that used in some double coated sapphire crystals used in high end watches therefore the coating would be vulnerable to wear and tear and scratching.

I would use a screen protector ONLY if you can get Apple to say it won't damage the screen AND the manufacturer states specifically it won't and has some type of guarantee. Otherwise you may find if you ever need to replace the screen protector that it has worn off the coating.

I think the best advice is to spend the extra money to buy an official Apple cloth and use as directed. That way if you ever have an issue you can show Apple that you have used their cloth as directed and therefore the wear is a defect in manufacturing and they have a liability to replace it. Doing anything else puts the liability on you.

I think you could also use a cleaner specifically designed for plastic LCD screens with a propylene glycol base and purified water very sparingly for stubborn stains. Anything else and over time it may degrade the coating and scratch the surface.

These screens are great and I love the AR coating but it has it's disadvantages and the biggest one is that the coatings can be fragile.

Reactions: rmadsen3 and onFIRE

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
The problem with a screen protector is the adhesive. On iPhones the anti-reflective coating is underneath the glass whereas on the MBA and MBP's it is on the outside. So if you use a screen protector on the phone there is no way the protector would ever hurt the coating while on the laptops the adhesive could actually damage the coating.

I have no idea what type of AR coating Apple uses but in the past people have worn them off by using various harsh cleaners. I would assume it is not a military hardened AR coating like that used in some double coated sapphire crystals used in high end watches therefore the coating would be vulnerable to wear and tear and scratching.

I would use a screen protector ONLY if you can get Apple to say it won't damage the screen AND the manufacturer states specifically it won't and has some type of guarantee. Otherwise you may find if you ever need to replace the screen protector that it has worn off the coating.

I think the best advice is to spend the extra money to buy an official Apple cloth and use as directed. That way if you ever have an issue you can show Apple that you have used their cloth as directed and therefore the wear is a defect in manufacturing and they have a liability to replace it. Doing anything else puts the liability on you.

I think you could also use a cleaner specifically designed for plastic LCD screens with a propylene glycol base and purified water very sparingly for stubborn stains. Anything else and over time it may degrade the coating and scratch the surface.

These screens are great and I love the AR coating but it has it's disadvantages and the biggest one is that the coatings can be fragile.

Great response. Ya, I'm leaning towards just buying the Apple Polishing Cloth and using water when needed.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.