Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPigford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Denver, CO
So after 4 years of living in a dorm room and NEVER cleaning off dust on my various machines I've had over the years...I've got a ridiculous amount of dust both inside and outside of my computers. What sort of cleaning supplies are best for getting everything back to shiny and new.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
(I agree with what Yippy said, first off)

I am relatively new to this, and the experts we got here might want to smack my on the backside of my head for this, but it worked for me, here I go anway...

I got the hose extenstion off a vacuum cleaner and attached the small brush tool to the hose, turned it on (duh) and removed dirt that way. sucked the filth off like a charm. Of course, this was not my Powerbook, but it was a good friend's G3 desktop and assorted peripherals (keyboard was suprisingly dirty, ICK) I wouldn't do her wrong, not including myself, she is only the second Mac user I know in this city {{sigh}} we're a rare and intriguing breed it seems. ;)

so long as the suction is not so powerful that it will dislodge small items, it should be fine. (e.g., shop-vac is a bit much I think) a simple vaccum extension seems fine, In my humble opinion.

A high pressure air hose (if you have access to one) should blow the rest away. be sure to cover things like the keyboard or what have you... don't want dust blowing back into there.

secondly, those Pledge "Grab It" dry cloths work really well for wiping dirt away. It alone can clean up a lot of crud. be sure not to get it caught on small items that will snag it, leaving a piece of cloth. that's no good. smooth surfaces are better here. they are not considered "lint free" but I think they're fine within reason.

If you clean your TV and then hold the [clean] Grab It cloth against it (to statically charge it) it will get off the surface of anything... DON'T do that on any inside parts of your computer though obviously. it just cleans your monitor, keyboard, tower (closed) and surrounding table top really well, without a lot of effort.
fing02.gif

hope that helps. As always, use your common sense and caution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.