Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I have a '13 MacBook Air with 256K. Today I tried to upgrade Catalina and it said I didn't have enough memory to complete it. I think it said I was 22 GB's short. The system says I have 16 GB's free. I have a lot of music on it but the music is also repeated on my MacBook Pro.

Would there be a danger of losing my MacBook Pro music if I deleted it from my MacBook Air?

I'm semi thinking of selling the Air as it had a display problem which is the main reason I bought the Pro. The Air has been sitting unpowered for maybe 2 years now. Today I powered it up and so far it's working great.

Apple says it will give me $175 trade-in for it which I may also do. I'm thinking of getting the 12.9" iPad.

Whatever I do, I DON'T want to lose my music.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have a '13 MacBook Air with 256K. Today I tried to upgrade Catalina and it said I didn't have enough memory to complete it. I think it said I was 22 GB's short. The system says I have 16 GB's free. I have a lot of music on it but the music is also repeated on my MacBook Pro.

Would there be a danger of losing my MacBook Pro music if I deleted it from my MacBook Air?

I'm semi thinking of selling the Air as it had a display problem which is the main reason I bought the Pro. The Air has been sitting unpowered for maybe 2 years now. Today I powered it up and so far it's working great.

Apple says it will give me $175 trade-in for it which I may also do. I'm thinking of getting the 12.9" iPad.

Whatever I do, I DON'T want to lose my music.
Where did the music come from? If you download it from Apple Music you can get it again. If it’s music you ripped from your CDs or obtained somewhere else I would back it up. It sounds like you have a lot of music so keep a copy on an external SSD or hard drive. If I remember right I bought a 2 TB SSD from Best Buy for less than $50 a few weeks ago. It wasn’t the best quality or probably the fastest speed but that doesn’t matter if you’re just backing up

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Where did the music come from? If you download it from Apple Music you can get it again. If it’s music you ripped from your CDs or obtained somewhere else I would back it up. It sounds like you have a lot of music so keep a copy on an external SSD or hard drive. If I remember right I bought a 2 TB SSD from Best Buy for less than $50 a few weeks ago. It wasn’t the best quality or probably the fastest speed but that doesn’t matter if you’re just backing up
I think most of it came from Apple. Some came from CD's that I bought. My real concern if Apple "reaches" across my devices and deletes the same data from my other devices. I don't remember putting the MBAir music on the MBPro so I assume Apple did it and if that is so, would Apple reach across my devices and delete it as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.