Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Mixed feelings.

For water-based application skins I was never quite comfortable with the amount of water that was needed. And when they dry, there was often a orange-peel effect, basically an inconsistent texture across the skin.

For stick-on skins, alignment was more of a get-it-right-the-first-time problem. Occasionally, the thicker skins would accumulate dust along the edges over time.

Maybe my feelings aren't that mixed after all.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I had an unused Xtremeguard back film laying around. It's the wet type. Their stuff is stupidly overpriced, but there is always a 91% off coupon on the internet (that's their gimmick). I think I paid like $2 for it?

It was for the original 12.9, so the camera cutout and several other cutouts were slightly off. I just trimmed with scissors and poked a hole in the back and top for the microphones.

Installed it using a cup of warm water (and a single drop of Dawn).

Let it dry overnight and I'm in business. Works fine, offers grip and weighs nothing.

Canceled
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
I had an unused Xtremeguard back film laying around. It's the wet type. Their stuff is stupidly overpriced, but there is always a 91% off coupon on the internet (that's their gimmick). I think I paid like $2 for it?

It was for the original 12.9, so the camera cutout and several other cutouts were slightly off. I just trimmed with scissors and poked a hole in the back and top for the microphones.

Installed it using a cup of warm water (and a single drop of Dawn).

Let it dry overnight and I'm in business. Works fine, offers grip and weighs nothing.

In terms of the liquid application, they just have your spray it all over the back and the solution is safe?

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I use icarbons skins and am try to decide to put one on my iPad Pro 10.5. Typically I have used the apple case for the back so a little concerned with the skin, but I think that is why we do not have one this time. Apple wants it to be thin and lite. Just guessing.

Skins only offer scratch protection and not much else. May put one on later, right now just using a jettech case that I modified to fit the apple keyboard.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
In terms of the liquid application, they just have your spray it all over the back and the solution is safe?
Yeah, I've been doing it for years. Never had an issue with any device. Just wipe down liquid if if comes into contact with buttons/speaker grills, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.