Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
I just ordered a 2020 MacBook Air and was looking for a clear matte skin for the top/bottom case, sides, palm rest, and trackpad. I saw one from BestSkinsEver, but it’s for the 2018-2019 MBA. Same with Slickwraps, except I’m not sure if their “full body” kit includes the palm area. I’m guessing the top and bottom case pieces fit, but I read somewhere that the trackpad is a little bigger on the 2020.

Does anyone know about other companies that sell the full kit? Or how long BestSkinsEver takes to release products. I sent them an email a few days ago and haven’t heard back. With everything going on these days, I completely understand. Just wondering if anyone here had information.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I went ahead and ordered the full 2019 kit from Bestskinsever. I’ve been buying my skins from them for a while and I’ve been happy with them. I think the only fit difference is the back height being slightly taller. The 2020 MBAir and the skin are coming this weekend so i can report back...

Reactions: Freedom1

insu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
I went ahead and ordered the full 2019 kit from Bestskinsever. I’ve been buying my skins from them for a while and I’ve been happy with them. I think the only fit difference is the back height being slightly taller. The 2020 MBAir and the skin are coming this weekend so i can report back...
Sweet! Yeah, please let me know how it goes. If you got the matte skin, I’m sure the sides won’t be too noticeable. Curious to know if you’ll be able to use the palm rests and track pad.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Sweet! Yeah, please let me know how it goes. If you got the matte skin, I’m sure the sides won’t be too noticeable. Curious to know if you’ll be able to use the palm rests and track pad.

Will do. However, as usual, I won't be installing the trackpad skin as I don't want to lose the feel. I will let you know, though, about the fit of the palm rests and trackpad skins.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Will do. However, as usual, I won't be installing the trackpad skin as I don't want to lose the feel. I will let you know, though, about the fit of the palm rests and trackpad skins.

OK, insu, my MBAir came in yesterday and the Bestskinsever clear matte skin came in this morning. I installed the skin and found the fit excellent! The palm rest skins fit great. Even the trackpad skin, which I did not install, fits nicely. I could barely notice the increased gap in coverage for the back which, according to the spec, is 0.02" taller than the 2019 model.

I'm now preparing my 2015 MBAir for trade-in. By the time that's done, the new MBAir's skin should be dry enough to start using.

Reactions: KB23 and insu

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Bestskinsever never checks their damn email.

Tried to cancel an order, got ignored. Chat Unavailable and support link dead.

Still no response back. Going to be stuck with a skin for a MacBook Pro 16 I don’t even need.

Bleh5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
OK, insu, my MBAir came in yesterday and the Bestskinsever clear matte skin came in this morning. I installed the skin and found the fit excellent! The palm rest skins fit great. Even the trackpad skin, which I did not install, fits nicely. I could barely notice the increased gap in coverage for the back which, according to the spec, is 0.02" taller than the 2019 model.

I'm now preparing my 2015 MBAir for trade-in. By the time that's done, the new MBAir's skin should be dry enough to start using.

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I, too, have been using BSE matte skins since they started selling them so many years ago. Always great to have the skins arrive just as the new device arrives too.

insu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020

Thanks, dborja! I’m happy to hear about the fit. Like @Chompineer, I never got a reply from BSE. I’d asked them when they might have the 2020 skin ready to go. But I feel comfortable now ordering it anyway after hearing about how it went for you.

I’m surprised the trackpad and palm rests fit so well considering Apple says it’s 20% larger. Perhaps they’re comparing to an older model Air, or they increased the size vertically? But you say the trackpad piece would’ve fit nicely. Did you include notes in your order about it being a 2020?

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Bestskinsever never checks their damn email.

Tried to cancel an order, got ignored. Chat Unavailable and support link dead.

Still no response back. Going to be stuck with a skin for a MacBook Pro 16 I don’t even need.

You can probably return it?
[automerge]1586042777[/automerge]
Awesome. Thanks for the update. I, too, have been using BSE matte skins since they started selling them so many years ago. Always great to have the skins arrive just as the new device arrives too.
Thanks, dborja! I’m happy to hear about the fit. Like @Chompineer, I never got a reply from BSE. I’d asked them when they might have the 2020 skin ready to go. But I feel comfortable now ordering it anyway after hearing about how it went for you.

I’m surprised the trackpad and palm rests fit so well considering Apple says it’s 20% larger. Perhaps they’re comparing to an older model Air, or they increased the size vertically? But you say the trackpad piece would’ve fit nicely. Did you include notes in your order about it being a 2020?

Here's a picture if I had installed the trackpad skin. Of course, the adhesive backing is still installed...

No, I just ordered the 2019 kit.

IMG_3092.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KB23 and insu

insu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
You can probably return it?
[automerge]1586042777[/automerge]

Here's a picture if I had installed the trackpad skin. Of course, the adhesive backing is still installed...

No, I just ordered the 2019 kit.

View attachment 903679
That looks great! Fits like a glove. I just noticed the fine-print on Apple’s site and the “larger trackpad” bit is when compared to the 2017 model. Can’t wait to get mine now.

KB23

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
Toronto, Canada
How good are these skins? Do they last a long time or do they peel off easily? I've never used a skin on my MacBooks, but I have used plastic covers which always end up getting very dirty/break and it really takes away from the beauty of the MacBook.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
How good are these skins? Do they last a long time or do they peel off easily? I've never used a skin on my MacBooks, but I have used plastic covers which always end up getting very dirty/break and it really takes away from the beauty of the MacBook.

The BSE skins hold up well - no peeling, no discoloration. In fact, I'm prepping my 2015 MBAir for trade-in which I bought in 2017 and I had to give each skin a good hard tug to get it off :). There is no residue to worry about when you do take off the skin. This has also been my experience with previous Macbooks that I wrapped with BSE skins...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.